Kmid Error Message...

Guest chas2002

Guest chas2002

Hi,

I've installed Kmidi player to play my midi files, but when I try to use it, I get the this error message:

Error - Kmid

Could not open /dev/sequencer.

Probably there is another program using it.

What can be done to fix this? I'd appreciate any advice.

Thank you,

- Chas

Guest chas2002
Are you sure it's a kmidi problem and not a midi problem? Can you play midi files with timidity++ or rosegarden?

https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?showtopic=26177&hl=midi

I was assuming it was a Kmidi problem because I got the message when trying to use that program. Timidity++ does work.

I tried "urpmi fluidsynth" from the console while logged in as root, but I just got the message "no package named fluidsynth". The same with Rosegarden.

Harddrake identifies my sound card as an Ensoniq CT5880.

I have Lycoris DLX linux on this computer as well, and it uses Kmid OK. I've been using Mandriva LE 10.2, to compare it with Lycoris DLX, since Lycoris is now being absorbed by Mandriva. I want to see if Mandriva Linux can do all the same things.

So far the comparison has been very favorable. Kmid is the only glitch I've found so far. Not being able to use Kmid isn't a show stopper for me, but I do prefer it to Timitdity++.

Thank you for the reply, if there is anything else you can suggest, I could try it. If not, thanks anyhow. It's all a learning experience for me.

- Chas

Have you setup the urpmi repositories with easy_urpmi? You need at least main, contrib, plf (free and non-free). Read the faqs for urpmi.

Kmid: it works for me (kde3.4.1 and qsynth/fluidsynth (just via onboard sound and a soundfont. Nothing fancy). What midi-app are you using? Open kmid, settings, midi settings and change from alsa to fluidsynth (after you have installed it ofcourse :) )