Enabling 100 DPI Fonts [solved]

Aomighty

Hi. I read about 100 DPI fonts and figured since I have a good graphics and am running at 1024x768 res and 80 refresh, I should use them instead, especially since the current fonts look a bit blurry. Anyway, I've done the following steps:

1. Install the package.

2. Change the order in /etc/X11/fs/config to 100DPI before 75DPI.

3. Changed the FontPath in XF86Config to /usr/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi:unscaled.

Anyway, after all that, X fails to start, but I'm okay, cuz I have backups :).

What's the missing link?

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

Edited by Ao the Unstoppable

This is how I did it on my system:

Part 1:

First off, you need to make sure you have the 100dpi fonts installed. In Mandrake 10.1 and higher, it's called xorg-x11-100dpi (or similar wording). If you have 10.0, it's most likely to be xfree86-x11-100dpi or something along those lines.

Part 2:

After this has been installed, we can now look at making a few changes to get everything working. It will still run at 75dpi unless you tell it to. First, the fonts have to be loaded in a particular order.

Edit /etc/X11/fs/config and you'll most likely find that the following lines are as follows:

/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi:unscaled,

/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi:unscaled,

These lines may be separated by other lines, this is fine. However, the lines need to appear like this:

/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi:unscaled,

/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi:unscaled,

This is so that it loads in the correct order, ie: 100dpi before 75dpi. If 75dpi is listed first, then it will load these first. Now you need to edit the following line:

default-resolutions = 75,75,100,100

This is the same, it has to look like this:

default-resolutions = 100,100,75,75

This is because it will load the resolution in what it finds first. Now, save the file, this part is done.

Part3:

Now we need to edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf. In here, there is a section as follows:

Section "Monitor"

Identifier "monitor1"

VendorName "Generic"

ModelName "Flat Panel 1024x768"

HorizSync 31.5-48.5

VertRefresh 40-70

DisplaySize 260 195

You will be missing the important line "DisplaySize". The parameters here differ, from screen resolution to screen resolution. The values above are for 1024x768. How I know this, is because you need to work it out with a screen calculation. This calculation is:

Screensize multiplied by 25.4 and divided by 100 (eg: 1024 x 25.4/100 = 260 and 768 x 25.4/100 = 195)

Each of the numbers are rounded down. You cannot put numbers with the decimal places, else it won't work. To check and test that you have it configured correctly, there is a command that allows you to check it's configured perfectly. You need to reboot first however before you run this, otherwise it will report your current setup. Below is an example:

xdpyinfo | grep resolution

resolution: 100x100 dots per inch

Hope that helps sort it.....

Thanksees! That's what I was missing (DisplaySize). It worked, however, now the fonts are a good bit larger. However, there's nothing a little system-wide font-changing won't fix, right? ;). Thanks.

I had to use Configure Your Desktop and then run gnome-font-properties to change all the fonts after I'd done it, cos they were all large!

At 75dpi, I was set at 10pt for fonts, at 100dpi, changed to 8pt.

Sure, you can just install, but this is what a few of us have had to do to get it to work correctly. It doesn't seem to be as easy as just installing them, or, so it appears! :P

If you have a Windows installation, if you check that, you'll find the fonts are around 96dpi. When I installed Mandrake/Mandriva, it was 75dpi. The higher the dpi, the better the quality should be.

You will find however, that after changing to 100dpi fonts, you'll need to reset in KDE/Gnome, so that they aren't too big. At 75dpi, I had them set to 10/11 size, and on 100dpi, to 8 size.