Urpmi

joaonuno

I used the Easy-Urpmi to update my Mandriva and now I'de like to know what I need to do:

1 - Where are the rpm's that Urpmi downloaded?

2 - Need I to install them or are they already installed by the Urpmi?

3 - The Urpmi via Easy-Urpmi download every new rpm's or only the updates of the rpm's that I have installed?

Thanks for the help.

1: the rpms are on the servers (called repositories). On your pc is a list that tells urpmi on what server it can find what rpms.

2: You need to install the software by giving the command: urpmi <software>. Urpmi will the download the software from the server and install it. Because urpmi has that list of software it knows were to find it.

3: Urpmi can also work with rpms on your pc, install cds, floppies, usb drives etcetc. As long as urpmi knows where to find the packages it doesn't matter where they are.

Don't give up on learning about the commandline urpmi family of tools. After awhile, I find it quicker, easier, and more flexible to use the commands than the gui frontend, Software Manager, for most tasks. See man urpmi and the manual pages of the related commands, listed at the bottom of each man page. There are online resources, such as http://qa.mandrakesoft.com/twiki/bin/view/.../UrpmiResources