Help required with installation [solved]

i downloaded the Java Runtime Environment (.bin file) and tried installing but get following error

[mohammed@localhost mohammed]$ ./j2eesdk-1_4_01_2005Q1-linux.bin*

./j2eesdk-1_4_01_2005Q1-linux.bin: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Does anyone know how i might resolve this??

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

it means that you need to install the development libraries on your system. run urpmi for downloading the libstdc++ files from the mirrors, then retry installing jre.

I think from memory when I was installing my jre, I had to use sh jrefilename to get it working.

Although during this process, it also installed jre too, but it wouldn't work, so I had to remove, and then reinstall the rpm that was extracted from the bin file.

Hope that helps, not sure where you downloaded from, I normally get mine from http://www.java.com

[root@localhost mohammed]# urpmf libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3

Note: since no media searched uses hdlists, urpmf was unable to return any result

You may want to use --name to search for package names.

[root@localhost mohammed]# rpm -q $(urpmf libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3)

--name: unknown option

ok,

from above comments it looks like i made a mistake and downloaded the wrong version :screwy: (i'm new to this..)

I have downloaded and installed a jre in an rpm package and followed the instructions as best i could.

Now according to the documentation for jmsn i need to type java -j jmsn.jar to run the program

all i get is java command not found..

Do you think i might have done something wrong in the installation as i see a folder called java in user directory.

Thanks

Mo

j2ee is not the standard java edition - it's for enterprise apps and not what you want. It doesn't contain the basic java executable since it expect the standard edition to be installed as well.

If you are only running java apps (as opposed to compiling them etc...) then you will only need the jre not the jdk...