Linspire 5.0

I just got a copy of it through the special coupon going around "LycorisWelcome".

This should be the most easy Distro to install and run, shouldn't it ? :unsure:

1st I tried to install it on my Shuttle, it won't run, the installer quits on "No Screens Found", apparently a bug that Linspire knows about, it can't install on some Flat Screen, I tested on both a Sony 17" and an Acer 15".

Then I tried to run it on a VMware, well it got a bit further but it couldn't recognise the SCSI emulated VMWare disk.

So, this is the easiest distro to install :lol2:

every installation is only as easy as the compatibility with some hardware. takewhatever distro you want. installing distro A might work like a charm on box A, but might be a nightmare on box B. trial & error & luck. ;)

every installation is only as easy as the compatibility with some hardware. takewhatever distro you want. installing distro A might work like a charm on box A, but might be a nightmare on box B. trial & error & luck. ;)

You're right about that.

For example my lappy, the only distro it will take without any serious problems is Mandriva 2005 :) I tried, Ubuntu, Gentoo and Suse 9.3 on it and no luck, always wifi and/or acpi problems.

Suse 9.3 on the other hand runs nicely on my Shuttle Pc where Mandriva was performing poorly.

To get wifi running on my lappy with Suse, (get ready for the laugh) I had to keep my external USB drive attached and BUSY, and had to keep on accessing files and folders so that a simple ping command on the wifi card would work. :lol2: I tried with kernel option ACPI=NOIRQ but then I had no more USB.

Gentoo would probably work but it must have been my über linux knowledge that got it broken :cheesy:

Mandriva then again is a bitch to install on my wife's laptop who seems to prefer Gentoo (she installed it, could be that also ;) ) or Ubuntu.

Still funny concidering that they all use +/- the same kernel and Linux base.

Edited by Phantom

I've been able to install it on my Shuttle.

I thought about keeping it in a tripple boot with WinXP and Suse 9.3 but no, this thing just formated the whole drive.

It doesn't even allow you to create partitions!!!

During the complete installation process it asked me 3 questions, keyboard, install or not and reboot.

Total install took 6min, total survival on my system before wipe out = 10min ;)

After installation I did take the time to check the software that comes along, very, very, poor, nothing really usefull, Mandrake and Suse come with a lot more stuff.

What really scared me is that they call the root user "Administrator", now I understand why they called it Lindows, and why M$ took them to trial.

This is simply a cheap copy of XP.

If they gave me the choise I would take XP over it anyday.

Usually I don't bash distro's, I like to try them, but this thing is one complete useless contribution to Linux.

This is not even good for new users, I wouldn't dare to give the cd to anyone.

Distro's like Mepis, Mandriva or PCLinuxOS are far superiour for a starting Linux user.

well, i would play around with it for at least one week before deciding if it's crap or not. the root account is something i don't like in linspire either (there are other aspects, too but i won't talk about them right now), but it is not a 1:1 copy of win-xp. it comes close, but keep in mind that this is still a windows.... errr .... linux based system (now you nearly got me! :P) and not a ms-kernel based one. :D

examine it further and then give us detailed information on what you like and what you absolutely dislike. i'd be interested in a review. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I used to knock Linspire in the past. No more. Why?

I had a buddy his mom asked me how do get rid of those viri and malware. Joking I told her "use Linux"

After about a half hour explaining what Linux was she wanted to try it. Frankly I did not have the time to setup a Distro for her. I told her go to www.linspire.com.

A couple of weeks later she is using some Lphoto program for her pictures. She loved all the "howTo's" and said getting a hold of Linsipre on the phone was not difficult.

I was shocked. Yea I didnt like the user as root part so I talked to her about that but her was a grandma that bought a Distro (linspire) and installed / run with no help. When a Distro can take a total computer noice and make them into a Linux user they have my vote.

I used to knock Linspire in the past.  No more.  Why?

I had a buddy his mom asked me how do get rid of those viri and malware.  Joking I told her "use Linux"

After about a half hour explaining what Linux was she wanted to try it.  Frankly I did not have the time to setup a Distro for her.  I told her go to www.linspire.com.

A couple of weeks later she is using some Lphoto program for her pictures.  She loved all the "howTo's" and said getting a hold of Linsipre on the phone was not difficult.

I was shocked.  Yea I didnt like the user as root part so I talked to her about that but her was a grandma that bought a Distro (linspire) and installed / run with no help.  When a Distro can take a total computer noice and make them into a Linux user they have my vote.

Yeah I wasn't happy when I found out they make users run as root. But I dont think that is ENOUGH reason to write them off.

I like what they are doing from day one, below perfection is acceptable on this young linux industry.

yup...hardware

I've tried linspire 3 times.....it has always installed, but never booted :lol2:

doesn't say much when this box has run 20+ distros w/o a prob

it's just a standard abit k7 mobo and bios...if it can't boot off that it's a piece of :P

Linspire didnt boot off my firewire CD drive. No surprise though, no distros at all, not even knoppix booted off it a year or two ago. Mandrake, Archie (der), Knoppix, Fedora, SuSE do boot off it now though.

And the whole running as root thing? Its not that bad. I run without root password. I figured I'm behind a router, which forwards everything to my server, I have a decent firewall all the same, and anyone else who gets physical access to this computer would be completely confuzzled at how to use it.

iphitus

yup...hardware

I've tried linspire 3 times.....it has always installed, but never booted :lol2:

doesn't say much when this box has run 20+ distros w/o a prob

it's just a standard abit k7 mobo and bios...if it can't boot off that it's a piece of :P

worked ok for me bvc,

You sure you know what your doing in linux?

:jester::cheeky:

:pc: