Mandriva Update without Mandriva Online

joaonuno

Welcome to the board. :)

Firstly, we recommend that you use the Easy Urpmi link at the top of the page to set up sources for updates and other software.

Then you can choose to use urpmi itself, which is described in this FAQ; or if you'd rather use a gui, you can use the Mandrake Control Centre/Configure your Computer option on your menu/taskbar. Go into Software Management - Media Manager to check Updates (and uncheck other options until you need them). Then choose the Updates option under Software Management, where you can select what to install.

The MCC names may vary as I'm still using Mandrake 10.0. B)

One more way to run updates is by issuing the command MandrakeUpdate in a console with an active internet connection. If you are root, it will start the updates dialog. If not, you will be prompted for the root password. If no update source is configured, you will be asked to choose from a list of mirrors. Otherwise, you will need to confirm to get the latest list of updates from the mirror. Then, you will be given a list of updates from which to choose or be told there are no new updates. On occasion, a problem will arise due to your updates mirror not accepting connections or going offline. In such a case, you might want to start media manager to remove the updates source, then run MandrakeUpdate to try another one.

Over time, I have found learning about and using the urpmi family of tools from the command line to be the quickest, easiest, most flexible way of accomplishing my software management needs. See the man pages and online resources, such as http://qa.mandrakesoft.com/twiki/bin/view/.../UrpmiResources

Guest san2004

You can try using an update CD.

Vist this link for refernece

http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.ph...=ST&f=14&t=3879

My home dialup connection is very very slow. So I tried downloading in Office through a windows machine and created an Update CD.

Go to any public ftp mirrors offering LE2005 downloads. There you will find a directory named updates.

I downloaded by using this link

http://ftp.club-internet.fr/pub/linux/Mand...updates/LE2005/

Here the following directories are listed.

Parent Directory

RPMS -> main_updates/ (link)

SRPMS/

descriptions

ls-lR

main_updates/

mdsums5

In your harddisk make a directory of your choice ( I used ManUpdate)

Make a subdirectory under ManUpdate called main_updates

Make a subdirectory within main_update called media_info

Use Exactly the same spelling for the directories as shown.

Go to main_updates and download all the files into Manupdate/main_updates

Go into the subdirectory media_info/

Download all the files form there into Manupdate/main_updates/media_info

Download ls-lR, descriptions and mdsums5 in Manupdate ( I don't know whether this step is required but did it nevertheless.)

Now now burn the contents of the ManUpdate into the CD.

Now go to Mandrake Control Center (MCC) and update the update source.

Insert the CD into Drive (Primary one if you have two or more)

Create a new update medium entry using custom buttom say Update CD.

In the path enter /mnt/cdrom/ManUpdate

Leave the relative path to synthesis/hdlist.cz blank. It will automatically recognize.

Save and Mandrake will check its usability. If it is burned right, it will save the entry.

Now go Install Software. Thre choose package by group and Select package by availablity of update. All the update packages (depending on the packages installed in your machine) will show with source as Update CD.

Select Install and all the updates will install.

Contrary to the suggestion in the referenece link shown above I did not unselect the CDROM1, CDROM2 and CDROM3 without any problem.

Thanks. Try it and report your results in the forum.