Installing VIA WIFI?

Guest Oriath

Guest Oriath

Hey guys i'm new to this board, so hopefully you'll forgive any ummm newbie-ness!

Not so new to Linux, been using it for a few years now, but I have a couple questions about using the network install...

I have a Compaq Armada 1750 Laptop, and before the CDRom DIED, I could install Mandrake no problems. Now the only feasable way I have to install Linux is to use the network install.. Only problem is I am using a wireless network at home, with a Belkin 802.11g 54m PCMCIA card in the laptop..

Should I be able to use a boot floppy with an image on to install from say, an FTP Server on my network?

I'll set up one of my "spare" pc's with IIS FTP and put all the correct permissions on the Linux folder, but...

How do you actualy USE wireless to install? and will it search for a network/use WEP etc?

If you have any other ideas I would greatly appreciate them!

Thanks in advance,

Download a boot.iso and use that. I don't know if it can set up a network connection with your card. Best and fastest is to just try it :)

Anyway doesn't the laptop have a 'normal' network connection?. Just plug it in your router, and it should work. No configuration neccesary of you choose ftp and dhcp. Or you can use the boot.iso to install from your server.

I think you may have problems getting the wireless interface up with only a boot floppy. You need to get the ndiswrapper package installed (I believe this was on CD3 in MDK10.1) and also install your Windows drivers for the card.

If you don't have a wired interface, the only other way I can think you might manage it is if you put the packages and files you need into a separate partition which you don't format when installing, or onto a USB pen-drive perhaps, then are able to install them from there. But I don't know if the installer will permit you to do this...