Getting Easy Urpmi to Work Right [solved]

Aomighty

Upon advice of someone on this forum, I decided I should start using Easy-Urpmi to start installing stuff. So I tried Urpmi, and copied and pasted the code into the console. "Command not found." Trying urpmi.update, same thing. trying "man urpmi" it gives the whole man page for it, however. So why isn't it working? Using gurpmi, it understands the command and gives an initialization window but doesn't launch the rest of it. Btw, my version is 10.1 Powerpack, and for version in Easy-Urpmi I selected 10.1 Official. Also, urpmi 4.5-29.1.101mdk is listed in the installed programs list. Finally, if I go to Update in the control center, it gives an error, saying it can't retrieve the list of packages from update_source. I've updated before and it's worked just fine, but I may have accidentally uinstalled something....

Edited by Ao the Unstoppable

i guess you have forgotten to login as root in the terminal. type "su" at the prompt, then enter the password for root. now copy and paste the mirror-information from easyurpmi into the terminal. copy the information for updates, jpackage, plf, etc. one by one.

copy the information for updates, jpackage, plf, etc. one by one.

arctic, i'd be interssted to know how necessary this bit is. Maybe I've being doing it wrong for the past 12 months or so :o but with easy urpmi after selecting all my mirrors, and generating the text to enter into console, I've just literally copied the *entire* text in one go and pasted into a console. In my rpm sources within mcc they all show as being there.

But, if doing it this way somehow jeopordises things, then I obviosuly need to reverse this. But does it - is there some kind of risk that things may not work out properly? :unsure:

Question: I've installed plugger via urpmi (urpmi plugger), and I want to enable it into Firefox, which is installed from source in another directory. If that doesn't work correctly, I want to install quicktime (which currently works in Konqueror) into Firefox. How can I find where urpmi installs its programs into?

How can I find where urpmi installs its programs into?

You can use an old rpm command:

$ rpm -ql <packagename>

as for your request:

$rpm -ql plugger

That will give list of all the files installed by that package and their location. Usually, executables are in /usr/bin.

arctic, i'd be interssted to know how necessary this bit is.  Maybe I've being doing it wrong for the past 12 months or so  :o  but with easy urpmi after selecting all my mirrors, and generating the text to enter into console, I've just literally copied the *entire* text in one go and pasted into a console.  In my rpm sources within mcc they all show as being there. 

But, if doing it this way somehow jeopordises things, then I obviosuly need to reverse this.  But does it - is there some kind of risk that things may not work out properly?  :unsure:

you can do it the one or the other way. i experienced however that some mirrors did not respond to my requests immediately or some mirrors were not yet synced, while some others gave immediate feedback.

doing it one by one, i knew exactly which mirrors worked well with my distro in a hurry (or which mirrors should be changed). and it makes it a bit more comfortable to deal with the stuff in case the connection to the mirror stalls. then i only need to reactivate one mirror instead of all mirrors.