Advice needed on Gentoo

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i dunno... but the only "bashing" about gentoo i read until now is that it takes you more time to install and a bit more time to maintain.

gentoo isn't bad at all. otherwise, my university wouldn't have switched the library server and workstations to gentoo 2005 with a customized fvwm2 desktop recently.

Wow... it's good to see that this topic attracts so many of the heavy-hitters of this board, and the discussion is so lively. It seems so much more balanced than if I'd said Hey, I wanna try Ubuntu, or MEPIS, or Arch (you lot and your pet distros, honestly ;) ). More forensics, less sermonising = deep joy!

I'm swotting-up via the links you've provided, and taking your views onboard. My current thinking is that a Stage-2 might suit my level and interest best, though I still seek to better understand the differences better before I commit.

I have some 'me' time next week, so I may just go for it then if I feel ready. The preparation includes a possible repartitioning mission (3 OSes on a 30GB laptop is the mother of economy) so I have to weigh things up carefully. This could be the time I finally make the move to Linux taking the dominant share of El Disk...!

It doesn't offer me anything exciting :P

You mean that a "pacman" shouting "yum, yum, yum!" doesn't excite you, right? :drum:

Nope, yum is tasty!

Have a few probs with arch, last I check doesn't support softraid/lvm2 install, doesn't use gcc4.0 as default compiler with all compiled against it, doesn't have a destop targeted policy for selinux, doesn't have gcj with apps like eclipse, OOo compiled against it. Doesn't have a supported amd64 bit version. Other than that, it's pretty good.

Arch haha, anyone who uses that as their main os are either crazy or stupid. For a start, the hardware detection is among the worst i've ever seen "Press enter to boot" *presses enter* it boots but can longer continue the install as usb is buggered up. I don't see the point in arch, just looks like a waste of time to be honest. I need something that works.

Anyways, my debian install is gone! :headbang:

I went back to FC4 for an easy time, i need a distro that holds my hand all the way. Plus i love yum and FC4 language support is really something else. :banana:

Err and this is off topic.

Arch haha, anyone who uses that as their main os are either crazy or stupid. For a start, the hardware detection is among the worst i've ever seen "Press enter to boot" *presses enter* it boots but can longer continue the install as usb is buggered up. I don't see the point in arch, just looks like a waste of time to be honest. I need something that works.

Anyways, my debian install is gone!  :headbang:

I went back to FC4 for an easy time, i need a distro that holds my hand all the way. Plus i love yum and FC4 language support is really something else.  :banana:

Err and this is off topic.

................................................................................

Parden? Fair go mate!

Sorry, but I take that as an insult, I really dont like being called crazy, or stupid, or have something I work on be dragged through the dirt by unjustified comments like that. Seriously, that's something I hate, people who make attacking comments, and fail to justify them, clarify them or provide any level of useful detail.

Not sure how something with such negative attributes can be so popular and make such a splash.

http://distrowatch.com/ 21's on Distrowatch's list

http://osnews.com/story.php?news_id=10142 Very popular news on osnews.com

http://osnews.com/story.php?news_id=10047 Arch's year is 2005.

http://os.newsforge.com/os/05/02/14/1722211.shtml?tid=2 this guy's workstation os.

http://osnews.com/story.php?news_id=9540 another positive review.

And I'm yet to see a negative one.

Maybe you should go download Archie, the Arch LiveCD,

http://www.tomkutv.utvinternet.com/isos/archie-0.4.3.iso

which includes lshwd+hwd which are the new detection tools which from what I remember, were included in Arch 0.7.

Put that in, boot it up, and then don't tell me about hardware not working.

If you have nvidia, it will work, if you have anything that's not, a winmodem, very old hardware, or hardware that is unsupported on linux or needs an obscure driver, it will work.

Anyways, my debian install is gone!  :headbang:

I went back to FC4 for an easy time, i need a distro that holds my hand all the way. Plus i love yum and FC4 language support is really something else.  :banana:

Arch Linux is an i686-optimized linux distribution targeted at competent linux users (read: not afraid of the commandline)

http://www.archlinux.org/about.php

Read about what you are trying to install first. Arch doesnt hold your hand and makes no claims to.

Fair go Lowe, maybe give it another shot when we release the Archie 0.5 LiveCD..... and my fancy new GUI Hard Disk installer. Or give Archie 0.4.3 a look and see what you think of it's hardware detection.

iphitus

Moderators: Please dont lock this thread. I like to give Lowe a chance to justify his comments, I would rather not have Arch trashed like that without fair reason. Also, it'd be great to hear how he goes testing Archie, my testing monkeys all resigned claiming poor pay or something like that.......

Edited by arctic

I thought i would try arch again on my new pc, since it had problems with the ethernet card on the old one, i've tried about 20 distro's and freebsd they all worked with my keyboard but arch failed completely after i pushed enter to boot, the keyboard was no longer useable.

This basicly sums it up, if it seems that it can't work with a common keyboard it doesn't deserve much respect from me. Oh and from a arch linux review, this sums up how i feel too.

"Who's it best for?

Wow, I almost feel like this is worthy of a catchphrase.  Who's this good for, audience?  All together now:  NO ONE!!  Joe Average was down for the count as soon as he saw the archaic ncurses installer, power users already have their own favorite "do it yourself" distros like Linux From Scratch, Gentoo, or Slackware and I doubt they'd want to waste their time on Arch when "i686-optimized" is just one kernel recompile away."

Edited by arctic

now, please, both of you: calm down. otherwise i will close this thread. please discuss your stuff in a civilzed and mature manner. no insulting, okay? ;)

Feel free to close it down or remove the posts.

Lowe: I was in no way suggesting that Arch is the best for everything. And it isnt, I never claimed it was the best for newbies or the best for you. I offered you a solution to your Arch troubles so that if you so much wished, you could give it another chance. I wanted to know more about why it didnt work, so that we could make sure it works for others in future versions.

As for i686 optimised being one compile away, if you want a whole system that is i686 optimised, then it's more 'compile every package on the system' away, besides, that's not why I use Arch, I use it because of the simplicity of the design of the system and it's package manager pacman.

I'm sorry that you took me the wrong way, i didnt want a flamewar.

iphitus

Edited by iphitus

Sorry, I was editing my above post as you replied.

And if you want this 'common keyboard' working, PM me, I'll personally make sure it works in Archie, and forward any needed info to the Arch devels for the mainstream install. What the keyboard make and model is, how it connects, the output of 'lsmod' in a console and any specific information on it's drivers that you might have..