Advice needed on Gentoo

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I doubt Soulse was talking to me, cause I bash all distro's even my beloved Fedora!  I think I'm qualified since i used it since 1.0-1.1a ish to the 2005 era, on x86, amd64, sparc32, sparc64, hppa & alpha.  So i've been around the block a bit!  8)

Not at all :cheesy:

Your arguments are perfectly acceptable - at least you justify them. I don't mind people not liking Gentoo, so long as they don't try and convince other users not to use it.

You've found the distro for you in Fedora, as have I with Gentoo. Arch, a close second.

Not at all  :cheesy:

Your arguments are perfectly acceptable - at least you justify them. I don't mind people not liking Gentoo, so long as they don't try and convince other users not to use it.

You've found the distro for you in Fedora, as have I with Gentoo. Arch, a close second.

:D

Like I said too, if you combine rh/fedora based distros together than that puts gentoo in a 2nd/3rd slot for me. I would probably have to say 2nd since im a 64bit user and I don't like how debian handles multilib or I should say lack of it. :)

Well, after this discussion, I was inspired to give Arch another go. Was even less impressed than the first time round. I think it has now slipped below Ubuntu on my list - after seeing how well Ubuntu 64 installed and is running on my boss' machine at work.

Still nothing nearly as cool as Gentoo though :P I still need to try LFS though... need to find the time.

Well, after this discussion, I was inspired to give Arch another go. Was even less impressed than the first time round. I think it has now slipped below Ubuntu on my list - after seeing how well Ubuntu 64 installed and is running on my boss' machine at work.

Still nothing nearly as cool as Gentoo though :P I still need to try LFS though... need to find the time.

I just finished installing gentoo(again) a couple of hours ago. I was going to make a topic about this but i'll just ask you SoulSe. I emerged zsnes and i added my user to the "games" group like it tells you to do, but when i run zsnes is says "no such file or directory" however when i run it as root it works fine. Any ideas? :huh:

Edited by Lowe