Native quicktime in Linux!

illogic-al

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To get rid of the timer, open the file /etc/mplayerplug-in.conf (or something like that) and change the osd-level setting to 0.

I still can't have it reliably play in Konqueror, by the way, so I've reverted to Mozilla whenever I need to check out QTs on the web. Overall I find mplayer to be quite unstable (requiring me to killall -9 it often)...I prefer to use Xine, which is a lot more stable and can now read Sorenson Quicktimes as well (no plugin, though, AFAICT). Maybe when the next version of mplayer rolls in...

There must be a way to imporve performance by increasing the buffer size. I've looked in /etc/mplayerplug-in.conf but there is not anything obvious to change in there

The advantage with quicktime is that if your playback catches up with your download, you can pause it or start again - but there are no controls with mplayer plug in so the buffer size needs to be increased

achiesteel i have developed same prob too. i've given up on trying to fix it cause it really isn't that big of a deal for me.

I solved that problem by installing KMplayer (NOT to be confused with Kplayer), which has a Konqueror viewer that works really well and better controls than with mplayer-plugin alone. It's also a standalone player (actually, just a front-end for mplayer) that integrates well with KDE and lets you tweak some settings from the GUI - including the buffer size (which I did have to increase significantly before I could view Quicktime streams).

The package is available in Contrib. Note that I'm using it with version 0.40 of mplayer-plugin (and version 0.90 final of mplayer) so YMMV with other versions/combinations.

oh yeah, i forgot about kmplayer. I don't like it cause it's even less stable than mplayer when player videos. It also doesn't automatically adjust size to take up whole of window (on sites other than quicktime) when playing video like the mplayer-plugin.

Hmm...it works fine for me (I find it more stable than mplayer, gmplayer or mplayer-plugin, actually - I nearly always have to kill -9 those). I'm not sure about the resize thing, though (I'm at work, so I can't check).

I guess it depends on your config, as usual...

• 3 weeks later...

I have the mplayerplug-in installed in both Mozilla 1.3 and Netscape 7.0. When I go to the menu of each for Help ->About Plugins, all the files for the mplayerplugins are there for all media types (quicktime, etc.)

However, when I go to the "test" website that illogic-al gave:

http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox/x2/large.html

I get the message on a white square:

mplayer plug-in Loading movie...

But no movie ever loads! It just times out.

Now, I'm just a point-and-clicker, non-techie simpleton. I installed mplayer 0.9 from the three cd's of MDK 9.1 and then went to the sourceforge.net for the mplayer plug-in. I did an su to root, then copied the plugin into:

/usr/lib/mozilla-1.3/plugins (it's called mplayerplug-in.so)

and also copied it into:

/usr/local/netscape/plugins

So what did I do wrong? In both browsers I get for Quicktime:

mplayer plug-in Loading movie..

But a quicktime movie never loads, but times out.

Please help with super easy instructions. Please remember that I'm not technical at all.

Thanks!