Native quicktime in Linux!

illogic-al

I just got this to work myself so while it's fresh in my mind i figured I'd put up a how-to right here.

1. Go to http://www.mplayerhq.hu/homepage/dload.html and download MPlayer v0.90rc3 source.

2. Untar the package into some directory, from the command line this would be

tar xvzf MPlayer-0.90rc3.tar.bz2

3. Open up a root console, i.e. open a console and login as root.

4. You may need some devel packages before you begin. Here are the ones I remember using

• freetype devel

libalsa2-devel

libbmpeg1-devel

libdvdcss2-devel

libdvdread2-devel

libffmpeg0.4.6-devel

libgtk+1.2-devel

libjpeg62-devel

libpng3-devel

libungif4-devel

win32-codecs

libmng1-devel

XFree86-devel

If you type these into the rpmdrake search box both the package and dependency will be selected. You could also use

urpmi name_of_package

and that would work too.

*** the NEW win32-codecs package from plf includes the quicktime dlls needed. If you already have the old one you'll need to get the new one for this to work. Or you could go to the mplayer page and follow their instructions.***

5. Before I forget you'll need to add some contrib and plf sources to urpmi. There is an easy to use interface for this at http://plf.zarb.org/~nanardon/ you can select plf, contrib and I'd also suggest texstar sources from this location. eg nanardonShot_0.jpg

(Don't actually use this example because it may not still work.)

6. Now that you have all the mirrors and packages you need, the build can actually start. You can type

./configure --help

to see all the possible options and enable or disable whatever you want, orrrrrrrrrr you can just use mine which enables the gui to mplayer and some other stuff like xv

./configure --prefix=/usr --enable-gui --enable-gif --enable-png --enable-jpeg --enable-xv

A lot of these options are auto detected but I just like to make sure :)

7. Hit enter and wait for configure to finish. Hopefully you won't have any errors. If you do make sure you installed all the recommended devel packages. This configuration should allow you to play divx and microsoft avi files, mpeg files and quicktime files. Of course we're not quite there yet. Any config errors usually hints at what is missing. -lbzip for example refers to libbzip (or zlib) devel packages (i forget which). If you're told of a specifc file like libavcodec.so missing you can search for it in the rpmdrake search box.

gkrellShoot_01-23-03_193141.jpg

gkrellShoot_01-23-03_193253.jpg

8. After getting through config with hopefully no errors it's time to start make. Type

make && make install

This should build and then install mplayer all in one shot. Remember you should be logged in as root at the console. If not you'll get errors during the make process.

9. Now we have to get you a skin for mplayer or the gui wont show up. Go back here http://www.mplayerhq.hu/homepage/dload.html and pick out any skins that you like. Then at a console (yes again)

mkdir ~/.mplayer

mkdir ~/.mplayer/Skin

Then untar you skin to that directory

tar xvjf my_leet_skin

NOW GET READY (unless I forgot something or you're just SOL) and at the console type

gmplayer

and BEHOLD you're new video player.

10. When you start it up it's going to be whining about somefont.ttf. I just copied an arial truetype font to the ~/mplayer/font and select a font. Since they were on the mplayer download page I used those in the mp-iso-8859-7.tar.bz2 package. I assume you know how to untar now so I'll leave you to it.

11. Once that annoying font problem is taking care you'll hopefully have a fully functional mplayer and can make an entry in the menu or on the desktop for it. Now for the final leg.

12. To be able to play quicktime videos from webpages like quicktime.com. you'll need the plugin. For that go to http://mplayerplug-in.sourceforge.net/ and download the mplayerplug-in v0.33 plugin version. Untar it somewhere and then enter the directory.

13. You'll have to open up a console and log in as root (if you're not root already) and then type

make

That's it. Then all you have to do is copy the plugin to you're mozilla/phoenix/netscape/whatever_other_gecko_browser_you_use plugin directory (which is ~/mozilla/plugins for mozilla).

I tested it and the plugin doesn't work with konqueror (yet) and I haven't tried phoenix et-al. Happy vid playing. Gratz.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

********UPDATE****************

Ok, I've tried this over and over again and I don't know why but now the only way I get quicktime to play is if I put the plugin in the root plugin directory, i.e., /usr/local/mozilla/plugins. Don't know why it just is. If it doesn't work when you put it in the home plugin directory put it in the root plugin directory. Again, I only tested with moz 1.2 (tex version)

Got the following errors during make && make install :

libvo/libvo.a(vo_gif89a.o): In function `config':

vo_gif89a.o(.text+0x2c0): undefined reference to `EGifOpenFileName'

vo_gif89a.o(.text+0x313): undefined reference to `MakeMapObject'

vo_gif89a.o(.text+0x377): undefined reference to `EGifPutScreenDesc'

libvo/libvo.a(vo_gif89a.o): In function `flip_page':

vo_gif89a.o(.text+0x510): undefined reference to `QuantizeBuffer'

vo_gif89a.o(.text+0x5c8): undefined reference to `EGifPutExtension'

vo_gif89a.o(.text+0x608): undefined reference to `EGifPutImageDesc'

vo_gif89a.o(.text+0x630): undefined reference to `EGifPutLine'

libvo/libvo.a(vo_gif89a.o): In function `uninit':

vo_gif89a.o(.text+0x7a8): undefined reference to `FreeMapObject'

vo_gif89a.o(.text+0x82b): undefined reference to `EGifPutComment'

vo_gif89a.o(.text+0x838): undefined reference to `EGifCloseFile'

collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

make: *** [mplayer] Error 1

I was logged in as root and am confident that I have all the dependencies. My configure worked fine - any ideas?

try this

make uninstall

in the directory you compiled mplayer in. As your configure try

./configure --prefix=/usr --enable-gui

after doing

make clean

and then

make distclean

. Just pulling this out of my @$$ so I hope it works.

Also plf also has rc3 packages which I used. If you've followed the tutorial then you should have all the sources you need, i.e, plf and contrib. the only modification I did was use the qt6dlls provided on the mplayer page instead of the ones which came with the win32 codec package.

Woo hoo - compiled and installed!

Now - is there a way of configuring it? I ask for two reasons?

1) It doesn't seem to find my skin - it's in the right place

2) It crashes every time :( when I try to view the test movie - whatever trailer that is - It just crashes. Is there a way to buffer the movie?

Woo hoo - compiled and installed!

Now - is there a way of configuring it?  I ask for two reasons?

1) It doesn't seem to find my skin - it's in the right place

Where is "the right place", (where do you have it). The directory Skin btw.

2) It crashes every time  :( when I try to view the test movie - whatever trailer that is - It just crashes.  Is there a way to buffer the movie?

Are you using mozilla 1.2 if so ...

::deep sigh::

... this started happening to me and for whatever inexplicable reason I couldn't fix it. But let's see if we can do any better with your prob. First, let's just get mplayer to find your skin then we tackle video playing.

I have put the skin in ~/mplayer/Skin as that was where it seemed to look for it. It tries to find the default skin (which isn't there - I had to create the Skin directory). I have a folder called "phony" in my Skin directory that contains the skin - I put this there because that was the logical response to the tutorial.

I haven't gotten this to work with 1.1 (tried. failed.) which is why I stressed using 1.2.

Again, I only tested with moz 1.2 (tex version)
Are you using mozilla 1.2 if so ... 
Maybe there is someway to make it work with 1.1 but you're gonna have to figure that out yourself. btw to see the gui you need to have the skin default installed (in the directory ~/.mplayer/Skin/default) if not it won't show.