LE2005 + Creative Webcam (Solved Almost)

SilverSurfer60

:banana: After tracing and probing I found by pure chance that if I did a modprobe for 'ovcamchip' my creative webcam worked. Detected, installed and working. The only problem now is if I reboot I have to modprobe again for the camera to work. How can I do this automatically? I tried 'insmod' but it comes back as incorrect format or something like that. Help would be appreciated please.

Many thanks for that tip, it works. However now in syslog I get :-

usb_unlink_urb() is deprecated for synchronous unlinks. Use usb_kill_urb() instead.

Badness in usb_unlink_urb at drivers/usb/core/urb.c:457

[<c0103c8e>] dump_stack+0x1e/0x20

[<d0d40a91>] usb_unlink_urb+0xa1/0xb0 [usbcore]

[<d0d5b0b9>] ov51x_unlink_isoc+0x39/0x60 [ov511-alt]

[<d0d5ba41>] ov51x_release+0x31/0xd0 [ov511-alt]

[<c01b36fd>] __fput+0x13d/0x170

[<c01b1997>] filp_close+0xf7/0x4e0

[<c01b1dcc>] sys_close+0x4c/0x70

[<c0102e5d>] sysenter_past_esp+0x52/0x75

whenever I use gnomemeeting. I don't have any other webcam app installed so I cannot test with anything else. I am not sure wether I should be looking at the ov511 driver or not. This really is something else. No-one seems to know anything about the problem. Ah well I'll keep digging and stuff. Thank you for your assistance.

Try /etc/modprobe.conf instead, I'm not sure whether it'll load using this one, but worth a shot, to see if it gets rid of the errors you receive above.

I'm assuming before you didn't get these errors when running modprobe from the prompt. See how you get on with modprobe.conf

Tried putting an install in modprobe.conf but it made no difference, except I was back where I started. I didn't get the afore mentioned errors as the driver would not install into the kernel. Guess I will have to put up with the errors in the logs. It does not prevent me from using the camera or anything, it just fills the log some more. At least it is working now. Maybe some day a fix will be found. Many thanks for the input, really appreciated.

Cool, is a shame about the error messages though. Have you applied updates to LE2005, or is it still stock as from the CD install?

If you've not, you could add your urpmi sources, by visiting:

http://www.mandrivausers.org/easyurpmi

and adding sources for main, contrib, updates, jpackage, plf-free and plf-nonfree. Or if you want to save adding these for now, you can just do the updates by clicking System/Configuration/Packaging/MandrakeUpdates and it'll ask you to select which mirror to connect to.

Then when you do the urpmi sources later, you can leave updates off the list as you'll already have it. The updates, if you've not already applied them, may have some fixes that may help lessen the errors being noted in the Event Log. Although I'm not entirely sure, as I've not used a webcam myself, but I always tend to update everything after a new install (Normal/Security/Bug Fixes). There will be quite a lot, so as long as you have a fast connection you'll be good to go! :P

The urpmi sources are just easy ways to get at software you want to install, and update to etc.

Yes I have all the updates, I keep well up with them. As you rightly say after a new release especially. URPMI is one of the first things I go for, I also have the applet running as I paid a subscription. That keeps me informed. I have done a search on the error problem, but, same as myself no-one seems to be able to get a concrete answer. It seems the problem is peculiar to certain individuals. I've had this sort of thing since starting out with computers some 25+ years back. I always ge the problem that very few others get. :o

• 2 months later...