security, bugfixes and normal updates [solved]

reconfigured

hi,

when i update via rpmdrake, (mandrake 10.1)i recognize some of the items in the list like kde, kaffeine etc.. which i select and download. some things i have no idea if i should download them or not. how do you know which to select and not select for download? should i just get everything? does a "package" only install itself if needed?

If you want to really update only against those packages you installed then when you open MCC--------------->Software Management---------->Look at Available Software, select the third bullet button down and select .......All Packages by update availibility. Wait a few moments and if you have any updates available the they will show as ............Update just under Addable.

The Update ones will only be for the packages you have already installed. The Addable is stuff that you might like to add.

Hope this helps you. Cheers. John.

Hi reconfigured,

When I tend to build my systems, the first thing I do is go into Updates and then download everything (Normal/Security/Bug Fixes). Unfortunately for me, this takes a really long time since I'm only on a 128kbps connection - 6 hours in fact). Sometimes it will prompt about some rpmnew files and replacing. You get a check and inspect, I just select replace file with .rpmnew file (or whatever the button is - similar wording).

Then after I've done this I configure my urpmi sources:

http://www.mandrivausers.org/easyurpmi

and add main, contrib, jpackage, plf-free and plf-nonfree (you don't have to add updates again, as you'll have already selected the mirror previously when you ran update). If you have a fast connection, don't bother to check the use compressed index option - means you can read more about the app before you install it, find out where it's installed to, etc, etc.

Then you can browse through the list and install all sorts of software using Install Software, as AussieJohn already mentioned. This saves you having to trawl all over the web downloading loads of software (although you may still need to for some at least).

What you will find as well is that there will also be updated components listed for things you have installed. You could go through the list and see what you have installed (you select an item, and it will list the installed version if it's on the system). The easiest method I've used to make sure every installed component is up-to-date (this is not the same as updates), is to type the following at the prompt:

urpmi --auto-select --auto

this then interrogates what I've got installed, what later versions are out there, and then updates them accordingly.

I then suggest running updatedb to update the slocate database and then typing slocate rpmnew to see a list of files that haven't been replaced by the update. If none listed, then nothing to worry about, but if listed, check and compare against their original versions. If you do find some, suggest you post back to this list, and we can help you further in which ones to replace and not to replace. Make sure you never replace group.conf with the group.conf.rpmnew will cause major probs! I did this once, but luckily I took a backup copy of the original group.conf file first.

hi,

thanks for replies. still confused

if i use the software management tab, then the update button under the MCC. i get a list of >>Updates<< with choices for securtiy updates,bugfixes and normal updates. if i understand, these will update what i already have installed on my system?

if i use system>config>packaging>mandrakelinux update i get the same choices (security,bugfixes,normal updates) but it says >>software packages update<<

whats the difference between the two?all iam trying to do is keep the OS and installed apps, most from the install dvd up to date. ive only installed 2 other apps that didnt come with the install dvd.

i have configured my urpmi sources