Battery and shutdown problem with LE2005 [solved]

Guest hakki

Guest hakki

Mandriva LE2005 does not detect battery on my HP nx 9005 laptop. Battery monitor says "Plugged in - No battery" whether ac adaptor is connected or not. Also when I try to shutdown or restart it doesn't shutdown or restart automatically but I have to press the power button for a few seconds.

Acpi and acpid is installed and running. Grub setting is acpi=on and nolapic. I tried acpi

=force, noapic, nolapic or with apic and lapic etc. but nothing changes.

Other acpi features (temperature, cpu power profiles) are working.

I was able to use acpi fully with CE 10.0 without any problems.

APM is not supported by the bios.

I would appreciate any help on this problem.

Thanks.

Edited by hakki

• 2 months later...

Well, I'm new to laptops and not so old with Linux either, but when I got a laptop this week and loaded FC, it wouldn't shut down via the log out , turn off computer option. Just rebooted back up again. Until I know what to fix, Ive been turning it off by typing halt on the command line. The system turns itself off, goes through its sending kill signal etc....ending with SYSTEM IS HALTED. Then I use the power button to turn it off completely. Heard the same thing from someone else. It works....heh.

Not messing much with ACPI either. Supposedly I have it enabled but all it does is go to a black screen if idle for five minutes. Where the screensaver comes in I have no idea cause thats the time setting for the screensaver. And 'make aware of advanced power management is checked so....

Well, I'm new to laptops and not so old with Linux either, but when I got  a laptop this week and loaded FC, it wouldn't shut down  via the log out , turn off computer option. Just rebooted back up again.  Until I know what to fix, Ive been turning it off by typing halt on the command line. The system turns itself off, goes through its sending kill signal etc....ending with SYSTEM IS HALTED. Then I use the power button to turn it off completely. Heard the same thing from someone else. It works....heh.

Not messing much with ACPI either. Supposedly I have it enabled but all it does is go to a black screen if idle for five minutes. Where the screensaver comes in I have no idea cause thats the time setting for the screensaver. And 'make aware of advanced power management is checked so....

Make sure that lilo options are setup to use ACPI. Go to mcc, lilo configuration, and check the box Use ACPI. You may also try adding options nolapic, noapic. Save. Make sure that mcc has finished doing its job rewriting the bootloader, then exit mcc. Reboot. The laptop should now turn off.

I got used to shutting my laptop by holding down the power button for a few seconds and that is not a big issue. BUT, not knowing how much battery left when using a laptop is unacceptable.

I installed beta3 but nothing has changed.

I really can't understand what has happened to this distribution. Because I had no problems with 10.0. Also I am surprised that a major distribution like mandrake is released without testing it on laptops.

Edited by hakki

• 4 weeks later...

I changed to 2006 beta 3 but the same problems continued

Then I tried different kernels and up-1GB kernel did the trick.

Now everything is working fine.

I think the default kernels after version 2005 LE have a bug.

hakki.

I'm using a Toshiba laptop, and it always shutoff when I use the shut off computer menu. I have used 10 Community on a HP laptop and it worked fine. I'm now using LE2005 and have never had a problem with the shutdown. I have not got the Battery monitor thing to work though. I never know how much battery I have. Sorry can't be of help to you there. I would try to run the updates, that seems to solve a lot of issues. If not, it is probably specific to your model Laptop, since I have run on two, or three different laptops with 10 community and LE2005 and shut down fine. Good luck.

Shane

Grub setting is acpi=on and nolapic. I tried acpi=force, noapic, nolapic or with apic and lapic etc. but nothing changes. 

Other acpi features (temperature, cpu power profiles) are working.

I was able to use acpi fully with CE 10.0 without any problems.

APM is not supported by the bios.

No APM but ACPI? Are you really sure?

I suppose you have HyperThreading that causes this problem. You can see if you are using HT with:

rpm -qa | grep kernel

If this returns an smp kernel you are probably using HT. For next test you need to consult

cat /proc/cpuinfo

If this shows two processors you are using HT. Then you could try with the following options:

nolapic acpi=ht apm=power_off

I think it's a bit harsh to say "I am surprised that a major distribution like mandrake is released without testing it on laptops." - it certainly doesn't affect all laptops! I've been running 10.1 and LE2005 on my Dell laptop for months and never had problems with shutting down or with the battery indicator. Both just worked out of the box.

Unfortunately I don't know enough about these 3- and 4-letter acronyms to help you fix the problem :(

İn my last post on Oct 10th I said that just using up-1GB kernel instead of the default kernel (without changing anything else) solved ALL the problems that I mentioned in my first post.

I used Mandrake 9.1, 9.2, 10.0 with no problems on this VERY SAME laptop. And ALL acpi features (battery, shutdown, whatsoever) worked flawlessly.

I am no expert. But from my observations above I ended up with a conclusion that there is a bug in the default kernel beginning with versions LE 2005 which causes the problem.

And in the bugzilla pages there are other people that claim they are having problems with shutdown and battery beginning with versions LE 2005.

What I can suggest to those who have similar problems with their laptops is to try the up-1GB kernel.

At least it solved my problem.