Mandriva firewall issue

cenobite

Hi !

My problem was first pointed to the aMule forum, but since I got a rather strange firewall behavior, I have to turn to this forum :-)

Why do I have to check or uncheck the Mandriva firewall on/off each time I restart my computer to get high ID when using the aMule fileshare tool ? Once confirming the firewall settings (doesn't matter if I check or uncheck the first box in the firewall rules) I can start and shut down aMule as many times as I want, until I restart...... then I have to enter the Mandriva control center again and confirm the firewall settings (check or uncheck the box) and then I can run aMule with HighID again. Why ?

(aMule wih lowID = behind a firewall = can't download)

Thanx !

Ole

Have you configured the firewall to operate with the specific port for amule so that it's open?

It might be because the ports aren't allowed through the firewall. Open it up so that you have ports 4662-4665 open. There are also udp ports too, which operate on 4772 so you might want to make sure this one is open as well.

See if it works after that, then you won't need to turn it off and back on again to get it working.

Obtained from: http://www.amule.org/wiki/index.php/Firewall

Hi there !

Yeah, I've looked at that site, but isn't it strange though that the firewall wont stay off after reboot ?

I've also forwarded the tcp ports in my router (as virtual server). It worked ok before.....?

aMule worked fine with Mandriva 10.0 comm., 10.0 official, 10.1 official, but something happend after upgrading to 2005LE.

:After reboot: starting aMule,LowID. Have to check the first box in my firewall settings- confirming - aMule = HighID.

(I can then start and stop aMule as many times as I want still with HighID !....until I restart my computer....)

:After reboot 2nd. time: starting aMule once again = LowID. Have to uncheck the first box in my firewall settings - confirming - aMule = HighID again.

hmmm...... As I said; Didn't have to do this before the upgrade.

Thanx !

Ole

How did you do the upgrade? Was it from CD media or from the urpmi ftp sources?

It might be that something is missing, there's an easy way to check if your internet connection is fast enough. At the prompt type:

urpmi --auto-select --auto

this will then upgrade the packages on your system that have been missed. This will of course need you to stick in the CD media, and/or urpmi sources to make sure everything is up-to-date.

I'm not sure exactly how much has or could have been missed, so this update could take a while.

Hi again !

I did an upgrade by DVD (download version, ISO), and then I updated packages with urpmi autoselect (no verify) when all sources was updated, which took a while..... :zzz:

I didn't try aMule before the urpmi though..... :unsure:

thanx !

Ole

OK, best thing to check then is this. Type su and supply root password. Then type updatedb followed by slocate rpmnew. If there are some rpmnew files, they could be causing some issues with networking probs such as this.

Post back what ones you get, we probably need to replace the corresponding file with the rpmnew. For example, replace kdeglobals.conf with kdeglobals.conf.rpmnew. Never replace group.conf with group.conf.rpmnew though.

If you post back what you got after this, can look at seeing if it helps further.

And then something happend, hehe !

[ole@minlinuxboks ~]$ su

Password:

[root@minlinuxboks ole]# updatedb

[root@minlinuxboks ole]# slocate rpmnew

/etc/X11/fs/config.rpmnew

/etc/X11/app-defaults/XScreenSaver.rpmnew

/etc/kde/kdm/kdmrc.rpmnew

/etc/kde/konqsidebartng.rc.rpmnew

/etc/kde/clockappletrc.rpmnew

/etc/kde/kcmdisplayrc.rpmnew

/etc/kde/kcookiejarrc.rpmnew

/etc/kde/kdeglobals.rpmnew

/etc/kde/kdesktoprc.rpmnew

/etc/kde/kdesktop_custom_menu1.rpmnew

/etc/kde/kdesktop_custom_menu2.rpmnew

/etc/kde/khotkeysrc.rpmnew

/etc/kde/kickerrc.rpmnew

/etc/kde/klipperrc.rpmnew

/etc/kde/konquerorrc.rpmnew

/etc/kde/kshorturifilterrc.rpmnew

/etc/kde/kpersonalizerrc.rpmnew

/etc/kde/kwritedrc.rpmnew

/etc/kde/kuriikwsfilterrc.rpmnew

/etc/kde/kxkb_groups.rpmnew

/etc/kde/mountwatcher.desktop.rpmnew

/etc/kde/konsolerc.rpmnew

/etc/cups/client.conf.rpmnew

/etc/cups/classes.conf.rpmnew

/etc/cups/cupsd.conf.rpmnew

/etc/cups/printers.conf.rpmnew

/etc/sane.d/dll.conf.rpmnew

/etc/samba/smb.conf.rpmnew

/etc/mime.types.rpmnew

/etc/squid/squid.conf.rpmnew

/etc/nsswitch.conf.rpmnew

/etc/services.rpmnew

/etc/group.rpmnew

/etc/qtrc.rpmnew

[root@minlinuxboks ole]#

You can work through them with an fc (which I think is the file compare command - fc nsswitch.conf nsswitch.conf.rpmnew) and so on. I usually replaced my nsswitch.conf with nsswitch.conf.rpmnew anyway, but never replace group.conf. Just delete the group.conf.rpmnew file.

I've normally replaced all of them, except group.conf, but take copies of the current .conf files in case something doesn't work correctly afterwards.

Have fun :P

HI !

Ok. I've replaced all the files except "group.conf", "kwritedrc" (which didn't have any file to replace with ?) and "qtrc" because the original file had a size of 957 and the .rpmnew file begins with a star, had a green color and had a size of 80 ??? (didn't dare...)

Well, I'm sorry to tell you, I still got the same problem, except I got my old dekstop look again :-)

I checked my firewall before I started aMule. It's turned off. I'm sure if I'll uncheck the first box in the firewall rules again, it'll work ! hmmm.... strange.

Thanx !

Ole

I think if it was me, I'd remove the firewall by urpme shorewall, and then reinstall it later if I wanted to use the firewall.

If not, I'd just remove it completely :P

• 2 weeks later...

From something I read previously, I believe the guy has given up, but unsure if someone else has taken it on or not.

No ideas on what Mandriva will do next Firewall wise.