GUI Webserver for Linux

su_root

I am an extreme noobie and I would love to have a GUI interface to help setup, configure, and maintain my webserver (well soon to be hopefully) for Linux. I really feel lost on how Apache, MySQL, and PHP work, and I feel like breaking my computer sometimes.

Man Windows was so much easier.

:help:

Thanks. Another question... where do I place html pages so that Apache uses it as part of my entire page? Sorry if that sounds complicated.

How do I add pages to my webpage? Like get rid of the test page and use a real one that I wrote?

the test page resides at /var/www/html, so you can put your index.html or all html files that you want to be seen in your web server there, either rename or replaced the existing index.html that contains the test page with your own created html page

I just took a quick tour of your website. Do you use Webmin? Do I need to be logged on as root to run the server?

Also, if I register a domain name, all I need to do is change the name in the config file? Don't I need some kind of authentication?

I just took a quick tour of your website. Do you use Webmin?

I'm not using webmin, but its a good gui tool, not only for http, but for other services that are installed in your linux system

Do I need to be logged on as root to run the server?

You can set you http server to run as your computer start... open Mandrake Control Center - System - services, there you can set those installed services to run during start-up, including mysql, if installed already...of course as root...but you can have some users to start-stop services using sudo. ( more info on sudo... suggestion: try google first, lots you can finde there)

Also, if I register a domain name, all I need to do is change the name in the config file? Don't I need some kind of authentication?

yeah change the server name on that config file of apache...

Authentication? well, before you can point your IP on that domain name, you should logon first on your domain name provider...

I only used dynamic dns, http://dyndns.org... before I can avail there service, I should login first then use their service

from your pm:

some apache tutorials try here

If you have not installed yet your mysql, try to install it using MCC - Software - or if you have a konsole open, as root, type#drakrpm

Im not a coder, so I just manage mysql using phpmyadmin or from you webmin also

Edited by aioshin