Larger K Menu icons? How? [solved]

doutor.zero

I cant' find a way to make the K Menu icons larger, like in other distros (Suse for example)?

There is any way to do that? Because in KDE Control Center, Icons, Panel the icon size button is grayed out!

I don't understand why the icons are so small in Mandriva because the K Menu with larger icons is a lot more pleasant to use.

Thanks,

doutor.zero

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

Thanks for your reply.

I tryed this but nothing happens... After searching with Google I find that you have to set the kickerrc file and add this line:

MenuEntryHeight=32

But for some reason the Mandriva KDE don't recognize this so I think there is no way to make the icons larger...

Thanks,

doutor zero

Hello,

Use kwrite or other editor to open

/usr/share/icons/THE_ICON_THEME_YOU_USE/index.desktop (or index.theme)

find this line:

SmallSizes=16

and change it to

SmallSizes=16,22

also, you need to add "22x22/apps" in the

"Directories=" section if it wasn't there.

and save the file.

Then go to KDE Control Center, Look'n feel, icons,

set the size of small icons to 22(default is 16).

Exit KDE and login again. Now the icons in kmenu will be larger.

THE_ICON_THEME_YOU_USE means... the icon theme you use! :P

The default icon theme of KDE in Mandriva is crystalsvg.

If you're using an icon theme installed in your home directory, it's located at

~/.kde/share/icons/THE_ICON_THEME_YOU_USE/index.desktop (or index.theme)

After some testing I found there is one small problem with this tip: the icons below Actions are in the right size (22 ou 32) but the icons above are with a small size (larger than 16 but smaller than 22) and the icons of the of the most used applications remains with the default 16 size.

Thanks,

doutor zero

The other option you've got is right click the panel choose size, and then make it larger, does this help any? Maybe set to Normal or Large?

For me, that makes my icons on the panel large, but within the menus they are the same size, although I've not tried editing the file as previously mentioned to see if that does it. But then I like mine how they are :P

I think you missed the most obvious and simplest method of the lot. Open KDE Control Centre ------->Look & Feel ----->Icons and click on the Advanced Tab.

There is a line that says SMALL ICONS.

Click on it and set the SIZE to 32 then click Apply.

I just tried it and now I too have larger icons on all the Menus I have checked.

Why do the hard way ????. Beats me.

Cheers. John.

AussieJohn, I followed the way you do it, but how come that the size has no other option?, its only 16, any idea on this.. i am using kde3.4 thacs version on 10.1

TIA

Aioshin don't lose your time trying this because I think that friend Aussie John don't understand what we are discussing... There is no way with Mandriva to make the K Menus icons larger besides doing the tip that yochenhsieh post (editing the .theme file).

But even this trick is not perfect, and no the same that adding MenuEntryHeight= in other distros like Suse.

Thanks,

doutor.zero

Edited by doutor.zero

So what is this ??? scotch mist ???

Please see the snapshots shown below. Are they fairly large icons in those two menus or am I imagining things. They certainly seemed to grow considerably after I used this method.

Sure the small icons choice is 16 but did you not notice that there is a bullet you can select to DOUBLE its size ???.

Doutor.zero, If I do not know what is being discussed please enlighten me since you seem to know what it is all about.

JB

Edited by AussieJohn

Sorry AussieJohn, I don't want to be rude, but sometimes my english don't allow me to express very well :sad:

I know what you are saying and yeah your are right but you are not 100% correct: first because looking at your screenshots (and testing myseilf) you can see that only the icons below 'Actions' are with a bigger size.

And second, using double icons is worst than doing that first trick because the icons are now distorted (in my case with the crystalsvg iconset).

So let's me try to explain: some distros like Suse for example have the entire KMenu with larger icons (look at the screenshot below) and you can set the size changing the MenuEntryHeight= in kickerrc file...

But Mandriva's KDE, for some reason, don't recognize this setting (and don't even permit that you change some icons settings, like panel or small icons size).

http://shots.osdir.com/slideshows/slidesho...ase=251&slide=2

So I repeat, there is no way, as far as I know (and I have searched a lot) to change this in Mandriva right?

Thanks again and sorry, once more, for my poor english.

doutor.zero

Edited by doutor.zero

I remember in SuSE9.0 I had the opposite reaction. The default large icons made the submenus spread out over almost all the desktiop, so I wanted smaller.

So the instructions someone gave me was to use the kickerrc file and change MenuEntryHeight from 32 to 16, for example, and it worked perfectly like a charm for the entire menu.

Now that was in KDE3.2, I think. At least it was an earlier version of KDE then.

So I'm surprised it isn't working 100% in KDE3.4, so that you can set the MenuEntryHeight to 32 and have it work for the entire menu.

I know that this isn't helping your situation, and I wish I could help, but I'm responding with my experience with kickerrc.

Maybe this will spur another member to share a better solution, or by adding something additionally to kickerrc that I have forgotten.

Best of Luck,

Richard