Share Problems [solved]

kimothy

I'm using Mandriva 10.2.

I have made a 'share' folder in my home directory. The intention with this folder is to be able to transfer data from one computer to an other over our LAN conection. The other computers (one Win XP and one Mepis) can lokate and view my content, but they are not allowed to write to my drive... I can tranfer my data to the others and retrive date from their computers from my computer, but they can'y transfer anything to me.

In 'share' folder properties I have changed the settings so that owner, group and others can view and modify content... So I have no idea why they cant write to my disk. My share folder uses the samba server. I would also like to mention that my home directory is on an other partition.

Thank you

First off: have you set up samba users (via smbpasswd -a <user>? What does your smb.conf file look like for the shared section? You will want a read list= and write list = and read only = no, with read list = and write list = with the names of the authorized users.

The user lists for samba are not the same as your Linux users. You have to add them separately via the smbpasswd command. The form is, as root: #smbpasswd -a <user>, you will then be asked for a password for your user, and then asked to repeat it. It will then tell you "<user>" has been added" (or whatever the message says). Note <user> is just the user name, i.e. smbpasswd -a joe to add joe. Samba uses its own smbpasswd file to authenticate access.

The easiest way to set Samba up is with swat. You may need to install it and in MCC -> System -> Services you will need to check the start on demand (or whatever the box says) for swat. It's pretty clear when you are there. With swat running go to a browser (Konq will do ) enter localhost:901 as your url and you will be taken to the Samba configuration utility. You will be asked for a user, type root and enter root's password. You should then be in business. There is lots of good documentation on Samba. For your purposes you will probably have little to do. Make sure you have the right workgroup entered ( a all too common goof).

Hope this helps.

I made a samba account with the command 'smbpasswd -a <user>'. swat is not familiar with me... also i could'ent connect with localhost:901. In my case this would be 'bebe:901'.

I made my samba password for my account, named 'kim', so with my own password i can write to any folder i usually can write to without being root, but I wont my father and brother to be able to copy from and to my computer, but only be able to access the share folder. So I created a 'guest account' with filesharing rights (this account has no home folder... only for file sharing), but even dough they log in as guest from the other computers they cant write to my harddisc. I avoided this problem by making the guest home folder '/home/kim/Share/', and that works perfectly... But this is not the proper way to do it, so I am still open to sugestions.

Thanks

Edited by kimothy

swat is a samba configuration tool. you can get it going the way i mentioned earlier. in your smb.conf file you need to specify who can read and write to files. get swat going and do the localhost:901 thing. it's my preferred way of setting up samba. right now as guest they can access their own home folder, you have to let them access yours by setting up the permissions for the share (use the share tab in swat).

I do not know swat. I use webmin to administer samba.

You could also use webmin.

Try to find some documentation in the web on samba/webmin. It may be easier for you.

In order to use swat: two things 1) as I mentioned earlier make sure swat is running (use MCC,System,Services and check swat when requested) 2) enter localhost:901 in a browser url (konq or Firefox or whatever you like). You are now in the Samba config tool. Adolfix mentioned Webmin, I think it's a matter of taste and I prefer swat others Webmin. Good luck.

In order to use swat: two things 1) as I mentioned earlier make sure swat is running (use MCC,System,Services and check swat when requested) 2) enter localhost:901 in a browser url (konq or Firefox or whatever you like). You are now in the Samba config tool. Adolfix mentioned Webmin, I think it's a matter of taste and I prefer swat others Webmin. Good luck.

What do you mean with MCC, System, Services???

Thanks for all the replys

Ok Swat works as it should, but i need help with the configuring.

My only demand is that anyone with the right username and password can access my share folder, and only my share folder (/home/kim/Share/). They also has to be able to write to this folder and copy files from it, even dough they don't have an own user account on my computer...

Thanks!

In the Samba config choose the Shares tab. This will get you to configuring your shares. Choose the share you want to use and click the advanced view. You will see a field for read list and write list. You can list the users you want to have each permission (comma delimted). If you haven't set up your shares you can do it with the Create Share button. Every share has its path and permissions. In setting things up you may have a share called Public which is to your home directory (Mandriva may have set this up when you set things up). You can change that if you want to /home/kim/Share and set the user permissions. It's really pretty straightforward. You can play around and add a remove shares as you wish and give some users more permissions than others (I have some shares I let some people read and write and others only read). Good luck.