can't install Thunderbird [solved]

Helmut

I had to reinstall mdk 10:2. and that was easy.

Now I've just spent the entire weekend tearing my hair and trying to install TB into mdk 10:2, but it really won't work no matter how I try.

I tried it with the file "thunderbird-1.0.2.tar.gz" from the official Mozilla download site, but their install-instructions for linux are worse than miserable.

Then I tried it with an rpm file for mdk 10:2 from a latest-edition magazine-CD, but my PC flatly refuses to accept it as an install media. It says "wrong signatures, will disable install media" etc.

It now seems to be installed after all (Be damned If I know how that happened!!!), but there is no TB start button. It will start however if I type "thunderbird" into a console. Menudrake didn't help getting a start button either. Under "star", "Internet", "Mail", there is Kmail and other stuff, but no TB.

After trying to copy the old mail into the local folders (/home/randomnumber/default directory) in the mail directory, TB insists on creating a new profile and refuses to let me access the old one containing the mail. After copying mail into the then newly made profile again, TB insists on creating yet another inaccessable new profile, and so on for ever. Swapping the mail contents inside files between profiles doesn't help either.

If I can't get TB to work and import my old mail, the mail will be lost, and in the end that has a major impact on my ability to pay the rent...

Btw, The mail-import feature of TB will not let you import mail from any other application other than Communicator 4.X , not even from the secured TB files!

Glad to get help, Helmut

Edited by Helmut

haev you set up software mirrors with easyurpmi (www.mandrivausers.org/easyurpmi)? if yes, you can download thunderbird using the mcc or the urpmi command from a terminal.

in case that you don't get a menu-entry for tbird, use menudrake to add it to your menu-structure. it ain't hard.

the problem with the profiles, not being accessible could be related to user permissions. try to change the user and the permissions for those files with the following command

chown -R nameofuser:nameofuser /home/nameofuser/.thefinaldirectory

are your files now accessible again?

This is how I always download/install Thunderbird//Firefox.

I download from the mozilla site:

Create a directory(folder) in my /home - 1 for Thunderbird, 1 for Firefox.

When you start the download - point and save to each respective folder.

When downloading is finished, you'll have a tar.gz app in each folder.

Right click, and select extract here.

Few seconds later, you'll have another folder. Open it and look for each respective shell script (one is called thunderbird, the other is called firefox - nothing else.)

Click on this and it will launch each application - follow on screen instructions for the correct install/set up.

By right clicking on your desktop, you will be given a menu, select: create new/file/link to app' A window with 3 tabs will open:

General - type in what you want to call it (i.e. browser/email/thunderbird etc); click on the blue wheel icon allows you to change the app icon - sleect browse and point to the icons folder within each newly downloaded directory.

On the application tab, select browse, and point to your respective shell scripts.

Click OK and you'll have a link to both apps on your desktop. You can also drag them onto your panel. As arctic says, you can also use menudrake if you want it within your main menu structure.

Thanks a lot ChrisM,

Got rid of the ailing TB-installation first by "packaging/ remove software", and then installed TB the way you said. It worked straight away!

I still have loads of old mail on my flash drive, but can't seem to return it into the new TB.

Arctic, the problem with easyurmpi was that after I did it (5 1/2 hours download) , everything was messed-up. No software could be installed, sources updated, etc, which is primarily why it was reinstalled in the first place. Tried it with chown -R as you said, but it says "command not found".

Helmut

Edited by Helmut

Copy the contents of the "Local Folders" into your "Local Folders" on your home drive.

In your home drive, it's usually .thunderbird/abghr3858.default/Mail/Local Folders

the .default is randomly generated, so if you have copied your old default directory in, that'll be why you can't read it. Create the mail accounts within Thunderbird so it uses Global stores, etc, then copy in, and you'll be fine.

Arctic, the problem with easyurmpi was that after I did it (5 1/2 hours download) , everything was messed-up. No software could be installed, sources updated, etc, which is primarily why it was reinstalled in the first place. Tried it with chown -R as you said, but it says "command not found".
what have you done to mess up your system? applying the patches should not wreck your system at all. have you accidently updated to cooker?

when you run the chown command, you need to run it as root. otherwise it won't function.

Hi arctic, After wiping everything TB-related off the drive and reinstalling it as ChrisM suggested, the copying problem (endlessly making new profiles) is gone, and so the need for chown.

With easyurmpi, well, it totally messed up the system. I was very careful about entering the correct information, and double checked it, but the result was a mess. Maybe I did accidently update it to a wrong version, but I really was careful. Now I'll just concentrate on the other stuff about getting the box working. Thanks!

Cheers, Helmut

Edited by Helmut

Thanks a lot ChrisM,

Got rid of the ailing TB-installation first by "packaging/ remove software", and then installed TB the way you said. It worked straight away!

Glad that it worked out. :thumbs:

Now that your issue is resolved, can you can mark it as so - just go to your original message, hit the edit button, and write [resolved] in the message heading. :D

I hope that you can get to the bottom of your easyurpmi dilema :wacko: - it will make your life so much easier in the future.

Edited by ChrisM

Few seconds later, you'll have another folder. Open it and look for each respective shell script (one is called thunderbird, the other is called firefox - nothing else.)

Click on this and it will launch each application - follow on screen instructions for the correct install/set up.

By right clicking on your desktop, you will be given a menu, select: create new/file/link to app'  A window with 3 tabs will open:

General - type in what you want to call it (i.e. browser/email/thunderbird etc); click on the blue wheel icon allows you to change the app icon - sleect browse and point to the icons folder within each newly downloaded directory.

On the application tab, select browse, and point to your respective shell scripts.

Click OK and you'll have a link to both apps on your desktop.  You can also drag them onto your panel.  As arctic says, you can also use menudrake if you want it within your main menu structure.

Thought I would add to this, with a consideration for Multiple users. What ChrisM has said works, that is tru, but the problem is that if your Home is in no way accessible to other users, then they will need to install again so that they can use the file. Becuase of this I usually make the firefox installer install firefox to /usr/share/, and tar thunderbird to the same directory using:

# tar fvxz thunderbird-VERSION.tar.gz -C /usr/share/

I then run menudrake as root so that the applications are available to all users from the menu.

Although this ain't perfect, you will have to reinstall if you don't mount /usr on it's own partition and then proceed to do a clean install of system files (done this a couple of times myself during the teething stage).

Just a suggestion!

Cheers

Guest Berkowitz

By right clicking on your desktop, you will be given a menu, select: create new/file/link to app'  A window with 3 tabs will open: 

Click OK and you'll have a link to both apps on your desktop.  You can also drag them onto your panel.  As arctic says, you can also use menudrake if you want it within your main menu structure.

What you wrote used to work on Mandrake 10.1 official. I would extract tar.gz, double click on firefox-installer and Firefox would install itself. Now that I installed Mandriva 2005 LE 10.2 nothing seems to work. I download Firefox 1.0.4 extract the tar.gz file and then double click on firefox-installer. Nothing happens. I can't install Firefox 1.0.4 and the default Firefox 1.0.2 has security holes.

Where is the problem?

Greetings there,

i am having trouble installing TB on MDK10.1

i downloaded it from mozilla's site.

did the following

[rohitsz@localhost software]$tar -zxvf thunderbird-1.0.2.tar.gz
[rohitsz@localhost software]$ cd thunderbird
[rohitsz@localhost thunderbird]$ ./thunderbird
SCIM: im_module_init
free(): invalid pointer 0x8dfbaf8!
free(): invalid pointer 0x8dfbad0!

[rohitsz@localhost thunderbird]$

i had to do CONTROL-C to quit after the two bad pointer lines.

Also i got the Netsxape error reporting tool suggesting me to post the error online stating what was i doing.

which i did ..now stuck with installing TB.

kindly help.

thanks,

rohit.

What you wrote used to work on Mandrake 10.1 official. I would extract tar.gz, double click on firefox-installer and Firefox would install itself. Now that I installed Mandriva 2005 LE 10.2 nothing seems to work. I download Firefox 1.0.4 extract the tar.gz file and then double click on firefox-installer. Nothing happens. I can't install Firefox 1.0.4  and the default Firefox 1.0.2 has security holes. 

Where is the problem?

If your downloading and extracting the same way, then I dunno what the problem might be, I'm still using 10.1.

I think you would need to say what not is working, what errors are beig reported etc , that way maybe some of the more tecchy minded folk here would then be able to offer some-insight

Greetings there,

i am attaching the error file saved thru Netscape Quality Agent Reporter Application.

when i double clicked "thinderbird" it asked me to send the details i did (4-5 timses untill now!)

i tried uploading the attachment here... but did nt seem to work got an error stating i am not allowed to upload attachment with this extension(it was plain text)

please see it here..

ThunderBird Error Log

regards,

rohit.

What you wrote used to work on Mandrake 10.1 official. I would extract tar.gz, double click on firefox-installer and Firefox would install itself. Now that I installed Mandriva 2005 LE 10.2 nothing seems to work. I download Firefox 1.0.4 extract the tar.gz file and then double click on firefox-installer. Nothing happens. I can't install Firefox 1.0.4  and the default Firefox 1.0.2 has security holes. 

Where is the problem?

OK, I'm at a 10.2 desktop and have just worked it out. First, I was initially thrown because there was no apparent option to 'extract here'.

However, what you need to do is, as before, highlight, right click and then select *Ark*. From Ark you can extract (you will be asked where you want to place the new directory) and then the process is exactly as before/above.