File Shredding

Shadowchaser

No use for journaling filesystems; so that's Ext3 and Reiser out then.

The fact that there's nothing on Sourceforge (or Google from what I can see) being developed to address this application, one wonders if that's because it is either impossible, or irrelevant, on these types of FS. I certainly don't know much at all about filesystems though, so this is just speculation.

I did find this Debian mailing-list page:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2002/11/msg05579.html

The upshot there is that you could temporarily re-mount your disk as Ext2, and then use shred. Of course this means the file has to be on a different partition to the system, or you'll have to reboot (twice) to do it.

...Or if you were using Ext2 anyway, yer laughing.

There are also some Linux Wipe Tools available at basicsec.org, which can wipe the swap partition, unused disc space or an entire partition.

The Readme file warns that

journaling filesystems cannot be wiped as cleanly as ext2. For superior data hygiene, always use the ext2 filesystem.

These tools were originally recommended on The Register. :)

Heya,

although this maybe requires some extra work, but I read that RSBAC has something called secure delete which works with journaling filesystems I believe.

I found something about it on the following page: http://www.rsbac.org/documentation:different_models:ff

It seems that not all filesystemtypes are supported. I saw that there was a feature-request in the bug-tracker for (other?) jourlaed filesystems I think.

greetings,

Michel