death of a mobo?

ChrisM

ChrisM - Glad you fixed it!

My fans only turn once and all is dead, I have tested everything except CPU and Mainboard. I bought a Duron 650 Mhz for 10 bucks to test with. If it doesn't work the problem has to be the mainboard. The original CPU is a Duron 1.3 Ghz, its been running OC for at least 2.5 years. The processor looks good though, no discoloration at all. Smells normal as well. All this happened when my wife bumped the computer! It just shut off like power died. Any ideas?

Dakota

ChrisM: Well, my 2 year old pc is on it's third psu. I have wacko power here, with power surges and extreme low power falls. I finally got an APC Back UPS and it's been fine since. Now you know why I thought it was your psu....been there.

Dakota: I don't know....check your cmos battery? capacitors? weird...

Edited by bvc

The battery is good, capacitors look fine. As soon as the test cpu gets here via snail mail we will see if the problem is the mainboard or the cpu. If its the mainboard I will just go to a XP 3000 400 FSB Barton core. The main reason I built the machine was to run RC5, looks like it has crunched all the keys it can! :lol2:

Dakota

Edited by Dakota

Dakota, same problem. You're probably maxxed out. My friend recently built a AMD Athlon 64, and one day he was OK, the next his fan would just turn once, and that was it.

He had to use a 430W or higher power supply before it would work successfully. You could try disconnecting everything from the power, except the systemboard, processor, one memory stick and video card, and see how you go. Anything else connected uses power, so need to minimise and find out why it won't work.

Just a thought.....

Last night that's just what I did, pulled the mainboard out of the box and disconnected everything except the CPU, one piece of ram and videocard. Same result. I've really tried everything I can think of except replace the processor. I am almost sure its not the power supply, I replaced it with a bigger one but took it back for a refund when that did not fix it. The mainboard is the GA7VRXP, I believe the problem is the system board or the processor. A computer I had with a 500 Mhz Pentium did the same thing when the processor died so maybe thats it. I just think its strange that my wife bumped it and it cut off similiar to a power outage. Oh well we should find out within a few days.

Dakota

OK, let us know how you get on! I had an AMD K6-2/450 that went funny one day. I think the fact my soundcard was half in and half out might have caused it to short!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

Got the new cpu, pulled the mainboard, put the new cpu in and I noticed my caps are blown! I looked earlier but did not notice them. They look pretty bad, I am just hoping it didn't damage the processor. The board is a Gigabyte GA7VRXP. I will not be purchasing another Gigabyte. Going for Abit, they have fixed their capicator problem. Will let you all know tonight if my cpu fried or not.

Arghh! Was the mainboard, cpu is fine however the mainboard took 1 stick of ram with it. I wonder if kingston will replace. Anyway no more gigabyte for me, they have not replaced the new boards with different capacitors. :screwy:

Kingston should have a lifetime warranty isn't it?

Anyway, it's not just Gigabyte that is having caps problems. Pretty much K7 motherboard under $150 have this problem (especially NForce2 ones). The cap problem also affected Asus, Epox, Abit, not to mention lower end ones like ECS or Shuttle. It is because they went for Chinese caps in order to cut cost. They have learned from their mistakes however and newer Mobo (especially the K8 ones) do not have these problems anymore.

I talked to RMA support at Kingston, they are going to replace my ram. I am completely aware of all the boards having cap problems. Should have been more clear in my earlier post. I went to my local computer store and looked at one of the latest Gigabyte boards, it had the exact same capacitors that blew on my board. Same color, manufacturer and model number. Thats why I say no more Gigabyte for me.

Edited by Dakota

Ouchie.. good thing you can check..

Anyway, since the only reasonable Athlon 64 motherboard (in price and availability) in Indonesia when I bought it is Gigabyte K8NS, I hope the motherboard last longer than 2 years this time.