issues after upgrade to LE2005

Latem

Hello, I upgraded from 10.1 OE to LE 2005, and now I have a few issues. here they are in order of relative importance I guess. Any help or ideas on these is greatly appreciated.

1. Now whenever I restart my computer, on bootup it says eth0 is OK, but when i come into KDE there is no network, And I have to do the MCC wizard to create a connection. I am using cable modem, and my ISP is Rogers (in Canada). I had this problem when I upgraded from 10.0 to 10.1, but doing urpmi --auto-select fixed it. I did urpmi --auto-select today, and everyhing got updated, but I still have this problem.

There are a few cosmetic issues/question I have as well.

2. I have always used Sans 10 fonts. After the upgrade my fonts seemed bigger. Now I change them to Sans 9, and it looks fine. However this is only for KDE. Gtk and X applications still have a little bigger fonts. Is there a way to cahnge this globally? You can see this in the two attached files, with the difference between Konqueror and Firefox fonts in the menus.

3. My KDE doesnt render fonts right in websites. They don't look AA'ed, and just kind of wrong, as you can see from the screenshot. When I browse my file system, the look fine.

4. The icons in the taskbar on the left look bad. I am not sure but it looks like KDE uses SVG there now, so it streches them or something. The konqueror one looks good though. Any way of fixing this. Also is there a way to change the "show desktop" icon to one that's in the panel menu for that functionality (Panel menu | Add | Special Button | Desktop Access).

5. Now, textedits, and comboboxes that have focus on them have a blue border around them. For example in Konqueror, when the address bar has focus it has a blue border. Can I turn this off? I think this is a feature because my brother had this before in 10.1, but he used Lipstick. I use Plastik. Was this added to Plastik in 3.3 and cant be truned off?

5. Is there a way to get rid of the "Menu" word?

6. Is there a way to change the icon from star to something else.

I know this is a lot of stuff, and hopefully I can get it all resolved. I know maybe I should have done a clean install, but since I didn't have many problems last time doing an upgrade (and all my post-upgrade issues were fixed by doing urpmi --auto-select), I thought I could do the same thing now. So I really want to keep doing a clean install as a last option. BTW, is it possible to do a clean install, but keep /home?

Any help on any of these is greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

Latem

post-5818-1119134826_thumb.jpg

post-5818-1119134852_thumb.jpg

2)

A work-around would be to adjust your firefox fonts by adding this line to your userchrome.css file:

/* change font sizes (not web page fonts) */

*{font-size: 10pt !important; font-family: sans-serif !important; font-weight: 100 !important;}

3)

I have the same problem with a fresh install of 10.2. I use firefox for web browsing, so I have never tried to fix this.

6)

open .kde/share/config/kickerrc and add kmenutext=false in the Kmenu section (you may have to add the section) so it looks like this:

[KMenu]

kmenutext=false

(taken from the release notes) http://qa.mandriva.com/twiki/bin/view/Main...005ReleaseNotes

Regarding keeping /Home when doing a fresh reinstall.

It can only be done if you created an actual partition for /home rather than let the install setup home within root (in this case it is really only a directory) because when you do a fresh install, / is wiped and so is every Directory within it. If that is how you did it then save the important data contained in the home directory to a cdrom and when you do a fresh install this time create a separate /home partition.

Can I suggest that you try reading some of the past threads. A number of your questions have been asked and answered many many times before. This makes it easier for many of us to try to answer those questions that are new or rarely asked.

Cheers. John.

If you want to change the gtk based fonts, you'll need to run gnome-font-properties. This allows you to change the fonts relating to this issue you have of some large and some small.

If you find it doesn't work after rebooting (as I found), then what you can do is this. In your home/username/.kde/Autostart directory, create a symlink by typing the following:

ln -s /usr/lib/gnome-settings-daemon

This means each time you reboot, it'll run this, and the settings for GTK apps will be applied each time. If of course, you find the fonts are OK in gtk based apps after rebooting, then you don't need to worry about adding this.

This is going to be a big post.

Ok I got my network setup after much messing around.

First I did reconfigure network (cuz it was already running), and truned off hotplugging. Before that I was looking thru my hardware and in my video card config I had pressed "Options" which brought that up that "Do you want to start X at staartup" dialog or something similar. Well I closed the dialog, instead of pressing Yes. That was a mistake. After shutting down, I got postfix gailed to shutdown errors. On bootup, I got a whole bunch of errors, and a starck trace print out. Also my x wouldn't start and I would boot up to console. I had to startx manually. And my network didnt work. I paniced pretty bad. I set up my interface (thru LAN as sugested in another thread) leaving hotplugging enabled, and restarted. I still got all the problems on bootup. but upon loading in my netowrk worked. I went to my video settings again, and in Options pressed Yes. I then removed the eth0 interface, and reset it up back to Cable. I also went into Services, where a bunch of stuff, that I knew was on before, was turned off. So i went crazy and pretty much truned on (set to boot), a whole bunch of stuff. Almost everything. Restarted, and it seems to work now. However, at line "Starting non-interactive setup" I get "starting hotplug", or something, and I think this wasnt there before. It's follwoed by "checking for new hardware". As well before I had "starting eth0" followed by "starting portmapper", which took like 20 seconds to start. Now I have "starting netplug" or something in between them. and portmapper doesnt take as long to start up.

I have restarted 3 times so far. It seems maybe it takes a little longer for KDE to start initiializing (before I even see the splash screen). One of the 3 times, All my input, or my KDE seemed to freeze after starting up. Like I could move my mouse, but everything else was frozen. But everything seems to boot up ok. and my network starts ok.

Should I disable hotplug, and/or netplug. netplug maybe importnat, since it seems to be something with dynamic IP, which I have dynamic IP assigned by DHCP?

Thanks,

Latem

Edited by Latem

you will only really need hotplug, if you use usb-stick, digital cameras or external harddrives and the like that you plug into your ystem and remove again. if you don't use such stuff, it should be safe to deactivate it. but leave netplug active.

just my two cents. :)

Thanks. I use my usb stick often, so I'll just keep both services at bootup.

I've been reading up on my fonts issue with my fonts being a little bigger than before. When I go into the fonts manager thing in MCC, the selected font is Sans, size 12, which is exactly how big my fonts were originally everywhere (even though in KCC is said 10). Does that selected font size in MCC mean anything?

Also I've read that the X dpi setting has a lot to do with fonts. From what I can tell (thru KCC) my dpi is set to 81x81. This is my monitor:

http://www.viewsonic.com/products/desktopd...optiquest/q71b/

and I use 1024x768 resolution. So is this the correct dpi setting? I've read about some equation like <horizontal size in pixels> / <horizontal width (in inches?)> = <your dpi setting>. However, I cant get 81, any way. My monitor is correctly selected in MCC. Any input/suggestions is appreciated. Also what's the proper way of changing and playing around with this. From what I've read you have to edit some text file, but different posts refered to different config files, and different things to edit. Some say to edit the monitor dimensions, some say to edit dpi directly, or some other variables.

Thanks,

Latem

According to the link you gave, your monitor screen size is 310mm (H) x 230mm (V).

Taking the horizonal dimension for which you have 1024 pixels or dots:

310 mm = 12.2 in

1024 dots / 12.2 in = 83.9 dpi

So your horizonal dpi setting should be around 84.

3.  My KDE doesnt render fonts right in websites.  They don't look AA'ed, and just kind of wrong, as you can see from the screenshot.  When I browse my file system, the look fine.

The problem is that Konqueror is doing exactly what the webpage designer want it to do ;-)

Many web designer don't care about Linux system that don't have the MS web fonts installed, they are setting up a css that is trying to load: Arial,Verdana, Helvetica.

And because you don't have Arial and Verdana, Konqueror is looking for and finding Helvetica, a font that is installed in a standard MDV system, and is not AA.

Solutions:

* Quick and dirty: install the (free) MS web fonts, you can find a rpm for 2005

here.

* You don't want MS stuff on your system? Kde control center ->System->Font installer, click on Administration mode, click on the dir 75dpi (or 100dpi), here you can *disable* (not uninstall) all Helvetica fonts

* A bit heavy (i am doing this because I don't want all these useless fonts): urpme the package with the 75dpi (or 100dpi) fonts.