Installing Win4Lin

I'm going to install win4lin. My main reason is autocad 2006. Im a linux newbie dough (3 weeks).

I would like to have a step 4 step list of things to do to make it work, from the download to the run.

If anyone can do this for me, I will be very happy. Thanks

Win4Lin is not difficult to install, but more info is needed first.

1. What is your distro?

2. What version of Win4Lin are you installing?

3. What version of Windows are you installing?

4. Do you have a Win4Lin license already?

You said you wanted ro run Autocad 2006. I've never used Autocad under Win4Lin so I'm not familiar with any details about it, but a quick check on their website indicated there's a few points to consider:

Autocad 2006 apparently does not require friggin' DirectX, which is good for several reasons. But it's not Win9x-compatible, it only works with Win2k Pro SP4 or Win XP. So Win4Lin9x will not work for you since it's for Win95/98/ME.

Win4LinPro does run Win2k SP4 or WinXP, but not at the blazing fast speeds that Win4Lin9x runs Win9x. Win4Lin9x has been around for years and is a mature product, but Win4LinPro was just released about 3 months ago and is only at v1.1. It has a lot of promise and some major advantages over Win4Lin9x and VMware, but just isn't at a high performance level yet. For comparison, at present Win4LinPro is about as fast as VMware and Win2k/XP (but cheaper), which is to say it's useable - I use it every day - but not like native Windows. Also, to get reasonable speed with Win4LinPro, it's best to install the KQEMU accelerator module. (Don't worry, it's very easy.)

You should be good to go, as long as your XP CD is SP1 or later, you didn't say. I understand early XP CDs, especially XP Home, can still be problematic. If you happen to have a Win2k Pro CD, you absolutely should use that. XP sucks large compared to Win2k anyway. Remember it must be Win2k SP4 for AutoCad. If you have an earlier version of Win2k, you can download and save SP4 and make your own Win2k SP4 CD with nLite (just Google for it). If you have an early XP CD, you should be able to do the same kinda thing for XP with nLite. Then install from the new CD or do like I did and just install directly from the HD with the Win2k SP4 ISO file you make. I hope you also have a fairly fast machine and 512MB or more of memory. W4L will crawl if you start getting into swap.

Go to the link devries kindly provided in his reply and follow the instructions there carefully. You'll definetely need to install KQEMU acceleration. Do it as soon as you finish the initial W4L installation, *before* you start installing XP, any software, updates, etc.

Use the latest Win4Lin Pro test version .rpm, Win4LinPro-6-1.2-02.i386.rpm. Don't worry, it's rock-stable, and among other improvements works out some kinks with installing XP. Available from:

ftp://ftp.win4lin.com/pub/testing/pro/

If you have questions or problems, post back here or at the new Win4Lin Forum:

http://www.win4lin.com/phpBB2/index.php?si...9eee35ff4dc5d27

Be sure to give complete details of your problems, if any.

Let us know how Win4Lin Pro works for you. It's been working very well for me, very stable and trouble-free if not blazing quick, over probably hundreds of hours of use. Sorry I can't give you any W4L/AutoCad-specific tips, but you'll find out, I guess.

Edited by Crashdamage