Guild Wars

joethesupercow

my problem isn't running it but actually getting it installed, the installation wizard for the game trys to install it in a directory on the "C:" drive which of course doesn't exist

It does exist - Cedega maps it to a directory within your home folder. So I'm not sure how you ran the installer, but if it was with Cedega than C: does exist - it's a fake though :P

hmm.. k, i downloaded a cedega rpm and installed it just by double clicking it in the file manager, seemed like everything whent alright in the installation process. so from what i've read you use it the same way as wine, just in the shell type "wine filename.exe". this "cedega filename.exe" doesn't seem to work though. so umm... help?:D

Where did you download cedega from? It is not free and requires a subscription from http://www.transgaming.com

The only way to get it free (legally) is to use the CVS version... if that still exists.

To install it use the command:

# rpm -ivh cedega.rpm

Obviously that will need to be adapted to the exact filename of the rpm. Once that is done you should be able to do a

$ cedega /mnt/cdrom/setup.exe

or what have you.

Remember that games must be installed as your user, never as root. There are also forums on http://www.transgaming.org/ (not com) where game-specific help and advise can be obtained.

Systen->Configuration->Configure My Computer -> Software ->Uninstall

I would suggest using the 'point to play' program if you're a newbie - it makes Cedega an all GUI affair and slightly easier - you should be able to find it the same place that you got Cedega from.

hmm... well i was able to find a cedega file that was called cedega-versionNumber-cvs.i586.rpm on a seemingly reputable website, maybe i should get that off my computer though. The installation seemed to go ok but the cedega command doesn't seem to work so umm.. how might i go about an uninstall?

That file you downloaded is merely a packaged version of the CVS version of Cedega. Nothing wrong with it legally, but don't hold your breath when it comes to running games.

The CVS version lacks a lot of the proprietary pieces that make Cedega special. If you want the real deal you need a subscription ($5 a month - peanuts).

Alternatively you could use Google to try and get games running with the CVS version. As I said, don't hold your breath.