Dell is indeed selling linux workstations

Guest ndeb

Many thought that Dell has dropped linux from its list of shipped OSes. It turns out Dell workstations ( http://www.dell.com/us/en/hied/products/se...orkstations.htm ) are being shipped with redhat-8.0. In fact, the models 340n, 350n, 450n, 530n, 650n come with redhat-8.0 only. The support is from redhat, not dell. Its just that they don't advertise their linux machines that much. Fear of MS$ backlash ?

If you have ever tried to market computers in the US, you must fear microshaft. That is the whole point about there lousy product. It is fear that spreads it, not the desire on everyone's part to own it!

Humm, this is interesing. The gov dept I work for only buys Dell. Sure makes a technicians life easy having only one kind of machine to work on. I wonder if we're going to see any of those linux boxs coming in soon? They tell me they've ordered another 100ish machines. It doesn't really matter, they'll still have me dumb them down to NT no matter what comes on. But it would be nice to fire one up, set up an XP theme, leave it running and see if anyone notices.

My company now will be having a deal with Dell, so I can get a laptop that is Linux compatible for a decent price, and set it up as a duel-boot...

It's a real pitty that Dell dropped the 64MB Geforce 4 440 Go video option from their 8200 laptop. :(

Glitz.