Cannot Connect to ADSL

amjidk

Hello,

i'm new to linux and recently installed Mandriva with a Bewan adsl modem, iv'e spent many hours trying to connect to the internet without success. The modem is recognised by the system i input all the details such as protocol= pppoa, vci, vpi = 38,0 etc inc my username and password. My isp here in the uk assign me a dynamic IP address and have also left the dns server address blank. I simply cannot get connection. when mandriva is starting i noticed a failure in one of the services

/usr/sbin/adsl-stat line 191:2496 terminated $connect "$e" > /dev/null 2>&1 failed,

and connect 0.56 no such device, i don't really understand what this means Ccan someone possibly help?

what happens if as root you enter the commands:

# adsl-stop 
# adsl-stop 
#adsl-start

does it connect?

I had a similar problem with my adsl modem (eagle f@st 8000 (or something similar)) which would not connect at boot but would connect if stopped twice and then restarted.

It is now fixed in LE2005 as it runs a number of network replated scripts at boot before connecting the modem.

Leo

You can open it in a text editor, kate or gedit (KDE or Gnome, respectively) may be easier than vi.

If you just want to see a specific line, you could do:

sed -n "lineno p" file

So, for line 15 in the file foo.bar

sed -n "15 p" foo.bar

Hello again,

With respect to the advice in all the above, i inserted my ISP's dns server address etc, the following errors are observerd.

At startup

Bringing up interface ppp0

plugin pppoatm.so loaded

pppoatm plugin_Init

pppoatm setdevname_remove unwanted options

pppoatm setdevname_pppoatm- SUCCESS:0.56

Connect(0.56): NO Such Device

FAILED

also when i execute the adsl-start file, the response is as follows

[root@localhost mohammed]# adsl-start

................TIMED OUT

/usr/sbin/adsl-start: line 191: 13112 Terminated $CONNECT "$@" >/dev/null 2>&1

The motherboard which i am using in my comp is a SuperMicro, is this supported by Mandriva, could this possible be a cause?

Await your response!

Edited by amjidk

The Bewan website has various drivers and utilities for Linux which may be worth having a go at installing, it would appear that there have been issues with the modem and 2.6 kernels which these claim to fix.

The message at startup suggests that maybe the device isn't recognised (or the wrong filename is being used.

Leo

hello,

i have downloaded bast-0.9.0.tar (latest Linux drivers), to unpack them do use tar xvf bast-0.9.0-tar ?? also which directory do i unpack it to and if i have the file on floppy how should i use the command?

Thanks

Edited by amjidk

A good source of help on most commands is to type

man [command]

in a shell which will display the help file for the command, this is really useful as it gives you descriptions of all options as well as a description of how to use the command and what it does.

When you enter the tar command in will unpack the files into the current directory you are in (type pwd to find out what that is if you do not know). There is probably an option to change the destination if required (see the man page for this (I cannot remember it)) alternately you could move to the directory you want it unpacked in and then do

$tar xvf /path/to/tar/file

There is no real need to unpack into any particular directory other than for ease of use when attempting to find stuff if you need it again.

(apologies if this was a bit too 'Janet and John' for you)

edit [didn't add about the floppy]: the floppy drive is probably /mnt/floppy so assuming your file is copied straight to the floppy

$tar xvf /mnt/floppy/bast-0.9.0.tar

ought to work.

Leo

Edited by Leo

Thanks Leo,

Do you mean to say that i can unpack into any directory i want?? don't i specifically find the folder where the older drivers reside and replace with the new ones??

I'll have a play with the man directive (or program), hopefully when i get the internet working (on the linux machine) i can dig into some online tutorials etc. and save me loads of money (with regard to software)

:thanks:

downloaded the file but i am having problems with instalation, i'm not sure how to work with make files and recompile the kernel, which may be required. (please see below)

INTRODUCTION:

The software for the UNICORN ADSL PCI card consists of two loadable drivers,

the unicorn_atm.o and unicorn_pci.o. The unicorn driver is a standard Linux

ATM driver, that performs segmentation and reassembly (SAR) and flow control.

The unicorn_pci driver contains the ADSL modem software and hardware related

functions. It has been tested with the Linux 2.4.x kernels. Note that to use

PPPoE, PPPoA or RFC2684 protocols, the kernel may need to be patched.

COMPILATION:

To compile the drivers, unzip and untar the file. In the unicorn directory you

will find the two subdirectories unicorn_atm and unicorn_bus.

You may compile the drivers based on the include files in the kernel source

or standard kernel include files. Set the variable KERNELDIR in the Makefile's

to point to your kernel sources if the first option in chosen.

If you choose the latter, you may need to copy the contents of the kernel

source "include/net" directory into "/usr/include/net/".

Go into these subdirectories and do a "make" and a "make install".

If the compile option "USE_HW_TIMER" is set, the performance is increased,

but the CPU load increased.

Use the same compiler as you use when compiling the linux kernel. The driver has

been tested using gcc-2.96, gcc-2.95.2, gcc-2.91.66 and gcc 3.0.3.

INSTALLATION:

To start the ADSL software, do a "modprobe unicorn_pci". Check in the syslog that

the drivers are started OK. The ADSL line should come up automatically. The status

can also be checked using the "proc" interface (/proc/net/atm/UNICORN\:0".

SHOWTIME in the log or in the status means that ADSL connction is up and ATM cells

may be transmitted and received.

Depending on your network setup, you will need additional software as with any other

ADSL ATM card. For bridged ethernet (RFC2684), the br2684.o module and brctl is needed.

For PPPoE, any pppoe client over the bridged interface (nas0) should work

(Roaring Penguin pppoe client has been tested).

The scripts directory contains some example startup scripts.

Bridged (RFC2684) and PPP over Ethernet:

Depending on your kernel, you may need to patch the kernel and enable the option

"RFC1483/2684 Bridged protcols" under "Networking options". Also ATM support needs

to be enabled.

Also the user space daemon "brctl" is needed. Instructions on how to apply the

patch and the brctl and patch sources can be found at http://www.zoftware.org/adsl-pppoe.

PPP over ATM:

For PPP over ATM, the module pppoatm.o is needed, together with the pppd plugin

pppoatm.so and a version of pppd that supports plugins.

Currently version ppp-2.4.0b2 supports PPPoATM plugins. A patched version ready for

PPPoATM can be found at http://www.sourceforge.net/.

PPPoATM specific pppd options:

llc-encaps: use LLC encapsulation for PPPoATM

vc-encaps: use VC multiplexing for PPPoATM (default)

Sorry for the long post, but can somebody please explain to me in more simple terms what i need to do and whether i need to compile the kernel etc??

Edited by amjidk

OK, the instructions are reasonably straight forward but do seem to have assumed a certain amount of knowledge. Lets see how we go.

We won't go into kernel recompilation just yet (it is actualy not as hard as it sounds just involves attention to detail and the confidence that pretty much everything is fixable if it doesn't work, backups are the key :D )

The makefile is essentialy a file that passes options to the compiler and ensures that everything compiles as it should. They can be edited using your preferred text editor. The makefile for each module should be found in the subdirectory concerned, however I downloaded the tar file myself and could not see the unicorn_bus subdirectory.

I have to go now but will have another look for you later.

Leo