Cannot Connect to ADSL

amjidk

Does your ADSL modem have a LAN socket and does your Mainboard have a LAN socket ???. If the answer is yes in both cases then totally forget the USB ritual, it is just not worth the time or the effort. Connect the LAN sockets.

Using the LAN connection you can be surfing the net in about 5 mins.

Cheers. John.

Sorry then I cannot help you. It looks as if you really have a problem just like with every other internal modem. Personally I would never touch an internal one but I appreciate that since you have now bought it then you are kind of stuck with it aren´t yyou ???. Perhaps some of the team may be able to help you now that they too know it is an internal adsl modem.

I just downloaded the Linux drivers in ..........Drivers for the BeWAN ADSL PCI & USB ST and had a read through. My god what a nightmare. I really wish you luck.

However if your modem is strictly the PCI unit listed further down

Drivers for the BeWAN ADSL PCI

then there is NO Linux driver for it. This one appears to be a glorified winmodem type even though it is supposed to be adsl so if this one is the one you have then you are in big difficulties.

John

i only purchased it after checking it on the Hardware Compatiability List (HCL), also it's the recommended modem for smoothwall, so i thought it should work ok with Mandriva. I'll play around it for a while and see how it goes.

Thanks

Mohammed

Mo,

Sorry it took so log to get back (hectic weekend). I had a look at the tar file and it does look like a pain. I reformatted the README instructiosn so I could follow them easier:

INTRODUCTION:

The software for the UNICORN ADSL PCI card consists of two loadable drivers,

the unicorn_atm.o

and unicorn_pci.o.

The unicorn driver is a standard Linux ATM driver, that performs segmentation

and reassembly (SAR) and flow control.

The unicorn_pci driver contains the ADSL modem software and hardware related

functions. It has been tested with the Linux 2.4.x kernels.

Note

to use PPPoE, PPPoA or RFC2684 protocols, the kernel may need to be patched.

COMPILATION:

To compile the drivers,

unzip and untar the file.

In the unicorn directory you will find the two subdirectories

unicorn_atm

and

unicorn_bus.

You may compile the drivers based on

the include files in the kernel source

or

standard kernel include files.

If the first option is chosen Set the variable KERNELDIR in the Makefile's to

point to your kernel sources.

If you choose the latter, you may need to copy the contents of the kernel

source "include/net" directory into "/usr/include/net/".

Go into these subdirectories and do a "make" and a "make install".

If the compile option "USE_HW_TIMER" is set, the performance is increased,

but the CPU load increased.

Use the same compiler as you use when compiling the linux kernel. The driver has

been tested using gcc-2.96, gcc-2.95.2, gcc-2.91.66 and gcc 3.0.3.

INSTALLATION:

To start the ADSL software, do a "modprobe unicorn_pci".

Check in the syslog that the drivers are started OK.

The ADSL line should come up automatically.

The status can also be checked using the "proc" interface (/proc/net/atm/UNICORN\:0".

SHOWTIME in the log or in the status means that ADSL connction is up and ATM cells

may be transmitted and received.

Depending on your network setup, you will need additional software as with any other

ADSL ATM card.

For bridged ethernet (RFC2684), the br2684.o module and brctl is needed.

For PPPoE, any pppoe client over the bridged interface (nas0) should work

(Roaring Penguin pppoe client has been tested).

The scripts directory contains some example startup scripts.

Bridged (RFC2684) and PPP over Ethernet:

Depending on your kernel, you may need to patch the kernel and enable the option

"RFC1483/2684 Bridged protcols" under "Networking options".

Also ATM support needs to be enabled.

Also the user space daemon "brctl" is needed.

Instructions on how to apply the patch and the brctl and patch sources can be found

at http://www.zoftware.org/adsl-pppoe.

PPP over ATM:

For PPP over ATM, the module pppoatm.o is needed, together with the pppd plugin

pppoatm.so and a version of pppd that supports plugins.

Currently version ppp-2.4.0b2 supports PPPoATM plugins. A patched version ready for

PPPoATM can be found at http://www.sourceforge.net/.

PPPoATM specific pppd options:

llc-encaps: use LLC encapsulation for PPPoATM

vc-encaps: use VC multiplexing for PPPoATM (default)

I reckon we should start with just trying to compile the module first and then see where it takes us. Do you have both the subdirectories it mentions in the version you downloaded?

Leo

i untarred (not sure if thats the correct word) :D the files in a temp folder and located the directories unicorn_atm and unicorn_usb (no unicorn_bus though) as well as some others such as unicorn_pci etc each of which has a .c file (i.e. source code) not really sure how i should proceed specifically since i need to use PPOA and the section where it says

You may compile the drivers based on

the include files in the kernel source

or

standard kernel include files.

If the first option is chosen Set the variable KERNELDIR in the Makefile's to

point to your kernel sources.

If you choose the latter, you may need to copy the contents of the kernel

source "include/net" directory into "/usr/include/net/".

don't really understand the way source code is compiled in Linux, will probably need to read up on it.

doesn't make much sense.Hope you can help..

Thanks

Mo

Edited by amjidk

OK, the first part is about kernel sources (i.e. the code used to compile your kernel) on a standard install a pre compiled kernel is used however you can easily include the kernel source.

Go to Mandrake Control Centre and the Install Packages option and search for kernel source. This should give you a package which you can then install using the tool (please tell me if anything here is too basic for you or needs more explanation).

Kernel sources are usually found in /usr/src/linux (where linux is a symbolic link (a kind of shortcut)) if you list the files in /usr/src you should see the relevant files.

According to the documentation in the makefiles within each of the subdirectories it mentions, there should be a line along the lines of

KERNELDIR=[something]

you should make sure this reads

KERNELDIR=/usr/src/linux

assuming that is where your kernel sources are installed.

Does that make any more sense?

Leo

ok,

Installed the kernel sources in the releven directory i.e. /usr/src/linux

checked the Makefile in unicorn_pci and unicorn_usb couldn't find KERNELDIR=

but did find KERNEL_SOURCES pointing to the directory described above.

i tried to go into the unicorn_pci directory and typed make but get an error 2, no rules to make target.

whats the next step, also do i need to install anything else for PPPoA to work??

Edited by amjidk

That's a nuisance, as you may well have worked out the problem is that there is no Makefile in the directory so the compiler doesn't know what to do.

I am at work at the moment but will have a look at the version I downloaded the other day to see what we can try next.

As far as PPPoA is concerned I connect using this and it worked out of the box so I am guessing that the relevant modules are already available in MDK. If not we will need to recompile the kernel (don't worry it is not as hard as it sounds ;) ) to make them available.

Leo

edit: I have been doing a bit of googleing on this and it would appear that there are some MDK rpms available for this. Try searching for dkms-unicorn (or even unicorn) in your MCC/install packages and see if that turns anything up.

Edited by Leo

OK sorry for the delay in getting back but I cannot get it to compile either.

It would appear that the rpms are for club members only (a whole different topic) :D

I did a bit more serching and found this on www.LinuxQuestions.org the poster seems to be having a different problem but the solution seems to be to switch over to Ubuntu (Ubuntu if you haven't tried it is nice and friendly and may be worth a look) they will send a cd for installation if you are not able to download it yourself.

Failing that maybe someone else around here can assist.

Leo

I'm off to the Ubuntu camp, iv'e tried the live cd and it looks very nice, to say the least. It's a shame that the Bewan modem doesn't work even thou it's in the HCL.

Also i assume club members need to pay to join.....

Thanks for your help M8, much appreciated.

:D

regards

Mo

Sounds like a good idea (yes you do have to pay for membership, I don't know how much). Let us know whether you getthe modem working in Ubuntu or not, I like to know. Plus the Other distributions forum has some good notes on Ubuntu (it's quite popular here as well) and help is often available in the forum for Ubuntu problems.

Leo