urpmi sources download

remarque

Hi

I wanted to add and update my urpmi sources but i couldn't download them because they're very big.

The problem is that my phone line is interrupting all the time but, the Konsole based urpmi doesn't seem to know how to "resume" the unfinished download.

is it possible to download source packages by direct download to your system and then add them to URPMI?

Thanks for your help!

i once installed some stuff using this method ( i guess ill work with other stuff)

1.- create a folder for the rpms youre goin to download

2.- download (manually and at your own pace) the rpms you need into this folder

3.- go to mcc-> and add a new repository pointing to the folder you created (select the local folder option)

viola! now go to install packages, and happy installing!

Hope this helps you

Edited by ERD

I could be wrong, but I think what remarque is referring to here is the hdlist files needed to set up the urpmi sources in the first place. This isn't to say that ERD's reply is wrong, but it can be troublesome, particularly if you need to sort out dependency problems.

Did you try using the synthesis.hdlist files? If you're using EasyURPMI (like, say, from Mandrivausers.org), you can check a box to use the synth files, which are much smaller, but don't include information like changelogs and so on. I use them for main, contrib... and a couple of other sources I can't remember now, simply because it takes too long for the ordinary hdlist to download on my connection.

Hope this helps

thanks, this helped and at least all the sources installed - i checked the "Use compressed index, much smaller than normal, with less informations". However, does urpmi work smoothly as ever with this sources or is it better to download the whole repository... just being curious.

Perhaps a bit off-topic, but are there any other options for updating the URPMI database, except for the easy-urpmi and he GUI based mandrake control center tool?

Anyway, thanks a lot

Yeah, it works perfectly fine. Basically, it doesn't give you any info on the program, plus the change log, and where the files actually install, and this is why the index is smaller and quicker to download (less information).

It doesn't have any direct effect on the way the list works, you can still successfully use the list and download any program you want to install plus dependencies if they are required.

With urpmi, you can use the CLI too, type man urpmi to find out more information on parameters etc.

Sorry, I should have been clearer about which checkbox I meant. That is the one, though.

Like ianw said, it'll still work fine, as I can attest! What I've done with mine is get the full hdlist for the smaller sources, and just the synthesis file for bigger ones (main, contrib, etc.).

Dunno about other options than MCC and the CLI, but I wish there was a way of select mirrors straight from MCC, rather than having to go to Easy-URPMI - cutting out the middleman, so to speak.

Ianw > Man, how did you reply so quickly? Are you like Superman or something??

Ianw > Man, how did you reply so quickly?  Are you like Superman or something??

:P I'm pretty much always here! Or maybe a case of good timing :D

You can use MCC or the Software Media Manager to add them, it's just knowing the format. If you take a look at ones you have in place right now, it can kind of give you an idea of how it works. Although personally, the CLI seems much easier than trying to trawl through and figure it out from the FTP Server.

You can use MCC or the Software Media Manager to add them, it's just knowing the format.  If you take a look at ones you have in place right now, it can kind of give you an idea of how it works.  Although personally, the CLI seems much easier than trying to trawl through and figure it out from the FTP Server.

Tell me about it... I find the CLI easier too, especially with the magic of the middle button copy-and-paste :thumbs: Man, why didn't I discover that earlier.... Thing I hate, though, is that I try to do it in windows too... :wall: