Firefox won't connect to the web [solved]

Guest montys_python

Guest montys_python

Hi everyone,

Im hoping that Im not posting on a topic that has already been dealt with.

I am new to the world of Linux have just installed Mandrake 10.2. I have tried to get firefox to work but have been running into a brick wall!

As root firefox will open without any problems and open any webpage I point it at.

But as a standard user firefox will open but will only view pages located on my machine. If I try to view anything on the web it complains(time-outs) and displays nothing. Konqueror logged in as the same user works perfectly and is what Im using to post this topic.

I am not using a proxy and am connecting to the web through my modem/router.

Could anyone offer a solution or point me in the right direction??

:help:

i ran into some trouble with the out-of-the-box firefox version that comes with mandrake, so i uninstalled it in MCC, then i went to the mozilla site, downloaded the installer for the most recent version (1.04 i think), and manually installed it to /usr/local/firefox. now my life is perfect :)

PS: dont worry about the install, its pretty simple, no compiling, or anything. just make shure you install the package cstdlib++ first.

Hope this helps

Guest montys_python

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the quick responce :)

I have tried removing firefox and installing the bin from mozilla.org previously but with the same conclusion. I used urpmi to install libstdc++.so.5.

I had a go creating a new profile but this seemed to have no effect.

It feels like a permissions problem but im not sure where to begin :unsure:

I shall keep trying :wall:

Guest montys_python

Thanks for that Artic :)

I could not find anything to change my security level in MCC but I had a look the msec comand and had a go at changing the level to 4 then 3 but again no joy

Guest montys_python

Thanks everybody so far (i have been a way over the week end so havent been able to reply :).

Under Security in my MCC the only option i am presented is my firewall configuation utility. Why am i missing this option? Has something (most likely me) screwed up with my installation?

Something else worth trying:

Type "about:config" into the url bar in Firefox.

Then you want to filter for IPV6.

Set this to "True"

See if it works any better?

for changning the security level, go in the mcc to securtiy. then select in the top menu "preferences → expert-mode". then you wil be presented with a fine-tuning option for your system security (on the top left). set your security level there to "standard".

Something else worth trying:

Type "about:config" into the url bar in Firefox.

Then you want to filter for IPV6.

Set this to "True"

See if it works any better?

ian, this is quite useless here, because the browser does work. at least as root, as he said earlier. ;)

As root firefox will open without any problems and open any webpage I point it at.
so ipv6 is not the problem. :)

Guest montys_python

Hi Guys I seem to have got FF working :D

Although exactly how im not one hundred percent sure :S

Ok this is what I did:

1) I found the expert-mode for MCC (thnaks arctic:) and set my security setting to "Standard" and restarted the session. This seemed to have no effect. I even tried again with "Poor" and still nothing. I reset back to "Standard"

2) I then tried ians suggestion of setting ipv6 to true in about:config. Success! I didnt even have to restart FF

3) To make sure it was step two that had fixed things I went back to about:config and set ipv6 back to false. FF still worked??!?!! Restarted FF and still it worked.... ookaayy...

4) Not quite sure why it was working i went back to the .mzilla-firefox folder in the current users home directory using a console and ran 'chmod -R o-w .mzilla-firefox' ( I had previously, in another bid to get this damned thing working, given everyone and their dog permission to do anything they liked to everything in this folder) restarted FF. Stopped working.....

5) 'chmod -R o+w .mzilla-firefox' and restarted FF. Still not working...

6) ARRGGGHHHhhhggg....

7) I retried setting ipv6 to true in about:config. Success!!!... again.....

8) I tried cycling through various combinations of steps 4 to 7 to determin exactly what had fixed FF.

I have concluded, in my not so expert opinion, that setting the 'network.dns.disableIPv6' property to true seemed to have the most effect. And once set to true, only seems to propagate back to false when the session is restarted or its files (or at least in the .mozila-firefox folder) are modified.

What the heck is ipv6??

Thanks to everyone for their guidence I have learnt several things about firefox AND Mandrake :)

I had exactly the same with 'mozilla-firefox-1.0.4-1.101mcnl.i586.rpm'

So did I. It's a definitely a DNS problem, but I couldn't get around it. For instance,

http://64.233.167.147/

would bring up Google, but

www.google.com

would not.

I had 'IPV6' disabled already, foolin' with it further did nothing. So I tried skipping my ISP's DNS server and setting up a different DNS server (tried MIT's and a couple of other university public servers) but still no go. I finally went back to the .rpm I was using.