Mandriva and Lycoris team up

devries

mandrivorisusers

Ooo...sounds like a viral disease...

Hard to say just what will happen now, but I have a positive feeling about this. Mandriva has to grow to survive against the Big Guys. And there is sure to be more consolidation in LinuxLand. And badly needed, too. Nothing wrong with having plentyof choices, but having soooo many distros just makes Linux seem more complicated than it is to n00bs.

RedHat, Suse and some others are going off in the wrong direction - very heavily patched kernels, XML config files, etc., etc. It's not good, and while Mandriva is less guilty, they have a bit of the same kinda stuff going on, particularly with kernels. Hopefully, as they grow they will stay reasonably true to 'true' Linux, as they have so far, at least for the most part.

Linux needs to standardize, settle on one package format, (I say .rpm wins in the end, and it won't even be close) standard file locations, etc. 'Til it does, n00bs will continue to be highly confused (as I was) and Linux will be too difficult for companies, even those who would like to get really serious about writing and selling commercial Linux software, to deal with. A conversation I had with a developer at Symantec made that clear. We can have all the distros we want, but they gotta standardize package installation.

For sure, I'm gonna stay with 10.1 for quite a while, 'til all this combining of distros shakes out quite a bit.

Hard to say just what will happen now, but I have a positive feeling about this.  Mandriva has to grow to survive against the Big Guys.  And there is sure to be more consolidation in LinuxLand.  And badly needed, too.  Nothing wrong with having plentyof choices, but having soooo many distros just makes Linux seem more complicated than it is to n00bs. 

RedHat, Suse and some others are going off in the wrong direction - very heavily patched kernels, XML config files, etc., etc.  It's not good, and while Mandriva is less guilty, they have a bit of the same kinda stuff going on, particularly with kernels.  Hopefully, as they grow they will stay reasonably true to 'true' Linux, as they have so far, at least for the most part.

Linux needs to standardize, settle on one package format, (I say .rpm wins in the end, and it won't even be close) standard file locations, etc.  'Til it does, n00bs will continue to be highly confused (as I was) and Linux will be too difficult for companies, even those  who would like to get really serious about writing and selling commercial Linux software, to deal with.  A conversation I had with a developer at Symantec made that clear.  We can have all the distros we want, but they gotta standardize package installation.

For sure, I'm gonna stay with 10.1 for quite a while, 'til all this combining of distros shakes out quite a bit.

I don't have the working knowledge or experience, an awful lot of this sounds absolutely right. ceptin I'm gonna stay pretty current with Mandriva - club release -

Kristi

i think it will increase the quality and innovativeness of mandriva products even further. and this will make linux even more interesting for for newcomers. :)

In the article near the bottom it says:

Mandriva - formerly known as Mandrake - has been on something of a buying spree of late. It bought French Linux support company Edge IT in July of last year, followed by a stock acquisition of South American Linux vendor Conectiva (hence the name change) in February, and now Lycoris.

So, I would assume the third is Lycoris :P