ati drivers

Guest smithy

Guest smithy

ok i downloaded the latest ati xorg drivers for my 9800 pro. its a .rpm file, i opened it then it says "install, save, cancel' i clicked install. then it installs. i log out and log back in and i try start up enemy territory and it dosent work cause its a opengl game. (the main reason im install these drivers is so i can play it). is there something im doing wrong? can someone please tell me how to do it step by step? :)

im a linux noob (had it for 4days) so yeah i dunno much yet :P

thanks

smithy <3

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

Have a look at this recent post, there is a download from ATI that helps with it:

https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?showtop...+driver+install

In a nutshell, you should do the installation without being in X at the time. But basically,

In X, open a CLI and su and supply root password. Type init 3 to get to CLI with no X running.

Login and then su and supply root password again.

type rpm -ivh --force name_of_rpm

There may be some dependencies for this, so you will have to make sure these are installed prior to the driver. They will be noted if the install of the rpm fails.

Then after it's successful, type fglrxconfig and go through this. Check out the post though, there are some links in there and loads more info to help.

X is the GUI that you're running KDE in, etc.

It's best not to have it running when installing display drivers.

su gives you root privileges, without actually having to log on as root.

I tried the above and still can't get my ATI Radeon 9600Pro Mobility (M10) to run 3d. There are several whinning posts here from me asking for assistance. :( I have tried several "solutions" that worked for others and still no 3d. So good luck with getting the drivers to work.

BTW, I did try the ATI Installer, and the RPM. They both ran fine with no errors, but still nothing in fgl_glxgears except an error. No Direct Rendering.

WoMBaT

Ok, you can go into System/Configuration/Packaging/Remove Software, then in the All option, you can either scroll down or search for "mesa".

If no results are shown, mesa isn't installed. You can then go to Packaging/Install Software, and then choose the All option and scroll for mesa or search for mesa, and then install as necessary.

There will be a mesa-...... as well as libmesa too. Just selecting mesa..... will select it's dependencies, anything it doesn't select shouldn't be needed as I think the other entries are just development packages.

Thank you, ianw1974. I will try this tonight when I leave the office.

I was thinking of starting over completely with a new install since I have tried several different strategies and methods to get this to work. I know for a fact that my xorg.conf is nowhere near the original and even my backup one is not the original either.

I have tried to use the "configure my computer" applet from the menu to install the kernel source but it is never an option. I need the kernel source that has SMP as that is apparently the one I am using (uname -r).

WoMbaT

If you do decide to reload, try getting the system to work without using the ATI drivers. I had no end of problems with one of my machines, and now it works a treat after a rebuild.

I've not loaded the ATI drivers, in case it ruins it all, because I wouldn't be sure of how to back-track it all completely.

If you do rebuild, all you need to do is this. Install mesa as previously mentioned, and then edit xorg.conf so this section is present:

Section "DRI"

Mode 0666

EndSection

that should work no problem. With my ATI Radeon 9250 I get around 1200 fps or so. I'm not sure if it would be any better with the drivers or not, but I'm happy with this anyway.

If you find it isn't working, then you can always put the ATI drivers on after, and then hopefully all should be well.

Okay all,

I have re-installed a new fresh install of LE2005. I have not installed any ATI drivers yet.

glxgears gives:

1874 frames in 5.0 seconds = 374.800 FPS

2100 frames in 5.0 seconds = 420.000 FPS

2240 frames in 5.0 seconds = 448.000 FPS

fgl_glxgears gives:

bash: fgl_glxgears: command not found

so this is a GOOD thing so far...no fgl drivers, right?

I have done urpmi --auto select (used the easyurpmi to set it up) and have updated my kernel source (which is 2.6.11-6mdksmp).

Ianw1974, If I DO NOT use ATI drivers; what do I use and how do I set it up?

I have backed up my xorg.conf as xorg.conf.dan just in case and will not lose it this time like last time.

Everyone else, what should be my next step-by-step thing to do (slowly now, I'm a noobie) to get the drivers working. I am going to try IANW1974's idea of NOT using the ATI drivers, so I really need some schooling on what to use and how to use it. :help:

WoMBaT

Oh yeah,

Does it matter where I put the following in the xorg.conf (top or bottom)?:

Section "DRI"

Mode 0666

EndSection

Also, I have the following installed:

libMesaGLU1-5.0.2-9mdk

libMesaglut3-5.0.2-9mdk

But nothing that begins with Mesa....

Edited by WoMBaT

Now have Mesa... files installed. (also included a xmms.mesa... file).

glxgears now gives the following:

Loading required GL library /usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.so.1.2

1994 frames in 5.0 seconds = 398.800 FPS

2380 frames in 5.0 seconds = 476.000 FPS

2520 frames in 5.0 seconds = 504.000 FPS

2380 frames in 5.0 seconds = 476.000 FPS

Note the new first line. How can I check if OpenGL is working with direct rendering without the fgl_glxgears command?

WoMBaT

Edited by WoMBaT

I usually put it at the bottom of the file.

There should be something called mesa-5xxx (version number).rpm, and I have the libmesa's installed too, libmesagl1, glu1 and glut3

If you're having problems locating these, suggest adding the urpmi repositories:

http://www.mandrivausers.org/easyurpmi

I add all of them, make sure you have 2005 selected, and go through and add. If you have a slow internet connection, use the compressed index option. Then have another search for mesa. As this is missing, you'll not be able to run glxgears any faster than it seems to be running at present.