Gnome 2.10... How? Where? Possible?

ERD

It is possible to install Gnome 2.10 from the cooker branch. First, you have to add new media source as a mirror for cooker packages (in Media Manager of MCC). Then look at this link for programs needed to run Gnome 2.10. Finally, you can choose the packages to install in rpmdrake.

I did it this way and now Gnome 2.10 runs fine on my computer.

Thanks a lot, ill get right to it. (ill have to start by figuring out what this cooker stuff is :) )

BTW: can you giveme the url of the repository you used, or some other repository where i could find this rpms?

Thanks!

Edited by ERD

• 1 month later...
Guest Quiksilvers2k

I clicked on the Gnome link and I'm unclear on one issue. Should I install the Development library dependencies before installing the Gnome packages or will installing just the packages work?

Guest Quiksilvers2k

Has anyone had any luck using garnome? It seems the installation of gnome 2.10 is more trouble than I thought. All I wanted was an updated window list applet where I can close all my windows at once. Should I just try out Mandriva 2006 to get the latest version, instead of going through the hassle of installing gnome 2.10 on 2005?

Isn't "Seer Of Souls" the (unofficial) repo of that funny guy which attacked Thac on the (official) Mandriva forums about his KDE 3.4.X RPM's being exhessively buggy and useless/harmful? :D

I wouldn't dare getting even java apps from his repo...

Edited by scarecrow

Isn't "Seer Of Souls" the (unofficial) repo of that funny guy which attacked Thac on the (official) Mandriva forums about his KDE 3.4.X RPM's being exhessively buggy and useless/harmful? :D

I wouldn't dare getting even java apps from his repo...

Don't know about it, but being too ehm.. "proud" doesn't mean that his packages are useless. Anyway GNOME 2.10 is there ERD just need to try it.

Guest Quiksilvers2k

I managed to get Gnome 2.10.2 installed using the Easy Urpmi cooker mirrors, but it has a lot of strange bugs I have no idea how to fix. Installing the Seer of Souls rpm packages produces the same kind of bugs. Here's how I've gone about installing them, and maybe someone can tell me if I'm doing something stupid. I reinstalled Mandriva with only KDE installed, Booted into KDE and added the repo to my sources list, and finally, I did a urpmi gnome2, let the packages install themselves, and rebooted.

Edited by Quiksilvers2k

Did you reinstall both times? As we said before cooker is the development branch so it's (very) unstable. If you install from cooker it also installs the currently unstable dependencies. If you installed the SOS GNOME over this, some dependency may stayed there. So either reinstall again and then install SOS GNOME, or try Mandriva 2006 beta1 if you feel brave.

Guest Quiksilvers2k

Thanks for the tip Dexter, I have Gnome 2.10.2 running stable now.

Heres how I got it working if anyone else wants to try this:

I reinstalled Mandriva 2005 LE (with default packages except mozilla-firefox-1.0.2 , KDE, and mozilla-1.7.6-3mdk.i586.rpm). Once In KDE, I installed mozilla-firefox-1.0.6 from cooker because after trying this so many times, I realized it would take care of some dependencies later on.

Nevertheless, I then downloaded all the SOS rpms to a folder and did a urpmi *.rpm. I chose to install package number 1 on the first prompt. The package manager will let you know these packages will not be installed.

drakxtools-10.2-24mdk.i586

drakxtools-newt-10.2-24mdk.i586

evolution-2.2.3-5.SoS.i586 (due to unsatisfied libgal-2.4.so.0)

evolution-devel-2.2.3-5.SoS.i586 (due to unsatisfied libgal-2.4-devel[>= 2.4.2])

evolution-pilot-2.2.3-5.SoS.i586 (due to missing evolution-2.2.3-5.SoS.i586)

gnome-network-1.99.5-6.SoS.i586 (due to unsatisfied tcptraceroute)

libMesaGLU1-devel-5.0.2-10.SoS.i586 (due to unsatisfied devel(libnvidia-tls))

libMesaGLU1-devel-5.0.2-9mdk.i586

libMesaglut3-devel-5.0.2-10.SoS.i586 (due to unsatisfied libMesaGLU1-devel[== 5.0.2-10.SoS])

libgnomeuimm2.6_1-2.10.0-2.SoS.i586 (due to unsatisfied libgconfmm-2.6.so.1)

libgnomeuimm2.6_1-devel-2.10.0-2.SoS.i586 (due to missing libgnomeuimm2.6_1-2.10.0-2.SoS.i586)

libgtkhtml-3.6_18-devel-3.6.2-3.SoS.i586 (due to unsatisfied gtkhtml-3.6[== 3.6.2-3.SoS])

This is the step where I kept messing up my installation. I wanted to get these packages installed as well, and knowing that Mandriva 2005 could not take care of their dependcies, I enabled cooker sources to take care of them. Unfortunately, this caused my installation to come down in flames when cooker tried to update my entire system with unstable packages. The way I got past this step was to let the package manager continue installing with cooker sources excluded and then after it was completed, to take care of these packages one at a time. Accordingly, I installed the problematic packages in the order they were shown to me(though the order is probably not important) with cooker sources active. Unfortunately, for some reason unknown to me, libMesaglut3-devel-5.0.2-10.SoS.i586.rpm and libgtkhtml-3.6_18-devel-3.6.2-3.SoS.i586.rpm would not install no matter what I did. However, after installing them from cooker, my Gnome 2.10.2 booted up fine, and I have yet to see any of my previous bugs or glitches :D.

Edited by Quiksilvers2k