ATA Controller card

willisoften

not really. but i guess adaptec has some ata cards that are quite well supported under linux. i'd check their site. maybe there i something useful for you.

ps: remember to look for linux support there. not all of their cards were supported in linux but the mayority.

Promise Technology is a leader in ide controller cards. Most of them are pretty sophisticated raid sata cards but they do make plain ide controller cards as well. I use the Promise Ultra 100 and it works fine in linux with the exception of mepis which seems to hate pci ide controller cards. Other than mepis, I haven't had a problem with my Promise card since mdk8.2. They have a newer Ultra 133 for ATA 133 speeds. The "Ultra" series has two ide ports/channels which can accomodate four ide devices. That's pretty typical; Also, most pci ide controller cards can give you problems if you put optical drives on them; I use mine for hard drives only and use the onboard ide channels for the optical drives. Around here you can get them for around $40:

http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod...20133%2520ultra

Thanks for the replies, for some reason I didn't get email notifications or I'd have checked back sooner. Maybe they got spam filtered by my ISP?

I'll investigate the promise and adaptec cards. Most of the cards I've seen so far mention every version Windows and nothing else. I was a promise controller on my last mobo that allowed me to do this before so I should have thought of them - but...........