Help needed: Yahoo Messenger + Webcam [solved]

Helmut

Hi Folks,

My friend has limited idea of windoze and much less of Linux. After moving to this country his wife wants to keep up communicating with friends and family on the other side of the world via the Yahoo Messenger using their Webcams. They have all been doing so for ages on a Windoze PC, but that PC is gone and a replacement needed fast.

Now here's the problem:

An old 1997 PC with MDK 10:2 (SE2005) was set up for this, and she tried using Kopete and Gaim. Kopete could not be gotten to work. Gaim seems to work except for the very much missed Webcam function. I was told it is most important and a vital part of the Windoze version of Yahoo's software. No idea what is exactly meant by that, but some button for activating the very much missed webcam-mode or function is missing. I never use any of these apps myself and don't have a clue what shes talking about...

Grateful for any suggestions!

regards,

Helmut.

Edited by Helmut

I've seen a Yahoo Messenger RPM direct from Yahoo, although I've not used to see if webcam works or not. I tend to use GAIM and don't webcam really.

Sorry to tell you but the Yahoo Messenger for Linux is awful - nothing like the Windows version - does the usual chat, IM and file transfer but thats it. It also looks terrible and on Mandrake KDE doesn't dock. Kopete and Gaim do the same but are multi-protocol and look nice to boot.

Mercury is probably your answer - or using Wine perhaps? I remember reading that the Kopete developers were looking at voice and video for MSN soonish.

Edited by foot

Guest dwiandri
I did install it once on MDK no problem though, even though it's a RedHat rpm.....and it worked!

hi ianw1974,

i just want 2 know how to install a file for Yahoo massenger to mandrake 10.0 ? ( the command )

I just download from www.yahoo.com ( for rpm file )

cause the kopete in mandrake 10.0 it doesn't work !

try to get fix....I lost my mind ;-)

thanks,...

Another alternative, you could use GAIM, as this would get around the kopete problem you have. Just downloading Yahoo Messenger, only allows it to connect to Yahoo, so you'd have to run another if you wanted to say, connect to MSN, etc, etc.

If you only have Yahoo, then no worries, although I tend to use GAIM :P

I don't use webcam though :D , although we'll get there soon with kopete, or can use mercury I hear!

• 1 year later...

One year later:

Linux still does not seem to have an adequate, meaning fully working equivalent of the Yahoo Messenger, including its webcam function. My friend gave up and switched his PC to Windows because of this.

Helmut.

Edited by Helmut

• 3 weeks later...

13 months later:

Just spent another entire week trying to getting the Yahoo messenger working on mdk. Installing the Yahoo messenger for rh9 on the mdk2005 box caused numerous unexpexted problems, even kppp would not work any more. In the end, all personal data had to be extracted with Knoppix and it needed a complete fresh install including formatting the entire drive. In what followed I also tried out other distro's, but nothing seemed to work with Yahoo messenger.

Finally I installed Xandros OCE 3.01 and it worked right out of the box with their built-in (probably modified) version of Kopete! So, thirteen months later my friend's box finally has a working Yahoo messenger, and best of all it now runs in Linux. But then, why for crying out aloud, why doesn't it work in Mandriva???

So, problem finally solved after 13 months, but frankly I don't want to see the Yahoo messenger any more in my entire life! (At least not not at this point...)

Helmut

Edited by Helmut

• 4 weeks later...