Customize Problem

We are using 2005 LE and I have REPEATEDLY edited the /etc/issue file to show Company name/Logo and computer name and domain. It works just fine and then, then next day it is back to MDK default. WHY?? :wall:

FYI, the /etc/issue file controls what is displayed on a text mode login screen.

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

how about making the file write protected after editing it? this should stop the system from editing the file automatically, i guess.

Tried that. The file is read only and POW, it is now back to the MDK default. And I dont like this at all. I am sure it is some kind of security feature to protect system files, and thats all good, but does this mean that the numerous customizations I have made to my configuration disappear? What other files does it do this to? Am I going to have to find a different distro or even build from scratch to get the full customization I need? I am NOT going to go back and check EVERYTHING after a simple reboot. (Which I am going to have to do later today because I am rebuilding the kernel to remove built in support for hardware I don't use.)

Edited by metal1633

this is weird. if it is ext3 then the file should be locked. nothing should be able to change its content... maybe adamw knows an answer. he has some "extra-knowledge". ;)

Try it. Add a simply line to it. So it looks something like this like this...

"Welcome to my Computer"

Mandrakelinux release 10.2 (Limited Edition 2005) for i586

Kernel 2.6.11-6mdk on an i686 / \l

Or which ever version you are using

Then go to a text mode login screen, Log in then log out. You should see your addition. Then reboot.

On mine, when I reboot, my addition is gone.

Check the time of the newly overwritten file:

- either it is way in the past, meaning the original was copied to /etc/issue using "cp -p" (preserve...)

- the time is between you said "init 6" and the bios coming up: it's "echo"ed from somewhere to /etc/issue during shutdown

- "echo"ed from somewhere during startup

In either case, try

find / -type f -size -1k -print0 | xargs -0 grep "The original mandrake text in issue, in quotes"

and see where it comes from;

a long time ago i had something similar to this. Whenever i altered the permissions of /home/user from the default to one i preferred (even as root) they reverted back overnight. Seems there is a cron job / system job which runs at set time or boot, and checks the system and alters all these kind of things to "protect" the system.

I am wondering if yours is a similar problem and if this helps someone come up with the solution for you.

Check the time of the newly overwritten file:

- either it is way in the past, meaning the original was copied to /etc/issue using "cp -p" (preserve...)

- the time is between you said "init 6" and the bios coming up: it's "echo"ed from somewhere to /etc/issue during shutdown

- "echo"ed from somewhere during startup

In either case, try

find / -type f -size -1k -print0 | xargs -0 grep "The original mandrake text in issue, in quotes"

and see where it comes from;

Yeah it shows file creation time to be at reboot.

Here is the output from the find cmd..

grep: /proc/sys/net/ipv6/route/flush: Invalid argument

grep: /proc/sys/net/ipv4/route/flush: Invalid argument

grep: /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc/register: Invalid argument

grep: /proc/sysrq-trigger: Invalid argument

After that the cmd Hangs and does nothing.