10.1 Not recognizing executable applications

At work, I'm developing LabVIEW software to run on Mandrake 10.1. I've been building executable applications that have been running great for the past couple of weeks.

Yesterday, I don't know how or why, but now if I double-click on the application file, it won't run. None of the other ones will run either if you double-click on them. They will run if invoked from a shell though.

If I were just going to be using this setup myself, I wouldn't care as I pretty much operate from a shell most of the time anyway, but I'm going to have to train non-linux people to run my software on linux, and they don't know anything about shell commands, so they're going to be looking for a point and click environment.

The predominant symptom is if I double-click on an application (that even has the MIME application string in the association), it prompts me to assign an assocation to run the file. I never had to do this before. What could have caused this problem, and does anybody know how to fix it? It's a fresh install of 10.1 and hasn't been altered except for some /etc/rc.local and /etc/profile entries.

Also, while I'm thinking of it, sometimes it has problems running commands in shell scripts. Instead of just typing in # ./ShellScriptFilename I have to type in # sh ./ShellScriptFilename

Any help is greatly appreciated. I wrote this in a hurry, so if I left anything out or if you need clarification, just let me know.

Thx!

Edited by watkinb