Repartition Software [solved]

santner

I need to install linux on a windows machine, but I can not wipe the hard drive clean, repartion and then install...I must keep windows on my computer and repartion space for linux. Does that Mandrake Linux Installer do this and if not is there free open-source software that can?

Edited by santner

I wasn't sure whether Mandrake could do it or not, so I used QTParted from a live Knoppix CD, before starting the Mandrake install. Worked a charm, shrunk the XP NTFS partition without breaking anything (XP complained about it being "dirty", but after a quick check was completely happy). Of course, YMMV! Back up first!

I was later told that Mandrake can also do it no problems as part of the install, but then again lots of other things I was told about the Mandrake installer (including the provision of a GUI, the ability to select packages, the option to copy to local version, ...) turned out not to be the case for me.

The Mandrake/Mandriva installer will do this. First, as previously mentioned, you need to scan the disk for errors, and defrag it too.

Make a note of the space you have utilised, this comes in handy in case the resize is done to less than the amount of space you actually are using.

Then when installing, click the Custom option for partitioning, resize your Windows partition, which may be marked as /dev/hda1. Obviously, don't go smaller than the amount of disk in use, although it'll probably not let you anyway. Be very careful of a message that says data will be lost on /dev/hda1. If you get this, DON'T complete the command, else say goodbye to Windows! :P

Then, the remaining space after can be used to partition off for Linux. It'll default to EXT3, this is OK. It's a journalised file system, which means it'll recover after a crash much easier than if you used EXT2 (this doesn't have journaling - if at all to recover without difficulty).

You can click "Auto" if you prefer, it'll create a / partition, Home partition and Swap. Swap doesn't need to be more than 500MB, so check this after. The reason for having Home separate from / is for when you upgrade, it'll mean you'll not have to move your data off, before upgrading in case things go wrong.