weird DHCP problem on 2005LE [solved]

penfield

I'm new to both Mandriva and this forum so, hi everybody.

My problem is this:

I installed Mandriva 2005LE from the mini CD...

Everything OK, until I tried to reach a package mirror, wich I couldn't.

I investigated and found the ethernet driver correctly installed, no problem there.

It seems there is no response from the DHCP server.

But I can load up Knoppix (receiving an ip addr and working smooth).

I simply do not get it, help is much appreciated...

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pretty knew to linux so I actually don't know if I have dhcp-client or dhcp-common installed.

A little update on my situation though: I downloaded the 3 2005LE images and installed it from there, which work out just fine.

But I still have the same problem, I don't receive an ip address from the dhcp server.

Maybe it is that dhcp-client and dhcp-common thing you mentioned,how can I check it and what should I do about it?

OK, I'm assuming your in KDE. If so, click System/Configuration/Packages/Install Software

Choose the option for viewing all files, and scroll through the list to find dhcp-client and dhcp-common, or just type dhcp and search (make sure All apps/files is selected first).

If they aren't on the list, then they'll probably already be installed. One thing you could do, is configure the network card for a static IP address, then you'd be able to ensure that networking is fine.

You can do this, by clicking System/Configuration/Hardware/HardDrake. In this screen, go to the network card, and choose the configure option. You can then set an IP, subnet mask, default gateway, and DNS servers to access the network/internet. Make sure you have a hostname, but don't worry about search domain and zeroconf hostname, these aren't really needed.

This will then rule out the network card as being a problem, and that you're not getting dhcp for one reason or another.

Alright, it seems like dhcp-client and dhcp-common is installed. I did everything you suggested and the situation is still the same.

I entered a static IP (and all that), stil no network.

To see if it was my router that was the problem I used this machine I'm on right now (win xp) to do a network scan, and all I can see is my router, printserver and this xp machine, NOT the static ip I just configured on the Mandriva machine.

Anyways I don't think it's the dhcp server that has the problem, since I can get pretty much anything on the net over that router.

Also, when I do a config -a with a static IP, it doesn't show an IP address for eth0, which kind of puzzles me since I just entered it.

I don't know if this helps but when I run 'ifup eth0' it says "Function not implemented".

OK, this'll be the prob. Right, what we can do is this. If you're in KDE, this will be the easiest way.

1. Click System/Configuration/Hardware/HardDrake

2. Supply root password when prompted.

3. Select the network card on the left hand side.

4. Click Run Config Tool.

5. Select LAN Connection.

6. Select eth0.

7. Select Manual Configuration.

8. Set IP address which is the same range as your router, and make sure the subnet is also.

9. Set hostname to whatever you want it to be (all one word).

10. Set your DNS servers (ISP supplied), and set the default gateway which is your router.

11. Ignore zeroconf and leave blank.

12. Choose Yes to restart network.

Then try ifconfig and see what it reports back?

OK, I did exactly as you said and this is what ifconfig -a reported:

-----------------------------------------------------------------

eth0

Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:0A:E6:95:09:D0

BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1

RX packets:0 erros:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0

TX packets:0 erros:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0

collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000

RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)

Interrupt:16 Base address:0xc000

-----------------------------------------------------------------

and nothing else.

I am puzzled.

Edited by penfield

The network itself is working smooth. On the computer where I have installed Mandriva, I have just loaded up knoppix from a live CD, and it works just great, internet and everything. When I load the computer up on knoppix the dhcp server assigns it IP 192.168.1.10 so no problem on the actual network (cables and such).

The ethernet card is an onboard VT6102 VIA Rhine (which is what was detected and installed during installation).

Edited by penfield

OK, back in the network card screen, after you've clicked it, but before clicking run config, there is a screen to the right with a load of info in. Under misc, there is Module, and it will give a name for it.

At the prompt, su and root, and type lsmod (LSMOD), and have a look to see if that module is running. If not, type modprobe and the module name you noted earlier. Then run lsmod again, to see if it's there?

That's OK, my network reports the same on my module. At least we know it's there, we just need to figure out sorting the network config now.

Just need to gather my thoughts, and I'll see if there is anything else I can suggest shortly.