Mandriva 2006

Guest aiohe

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had an LE2005 install on a test machine that I thought I'd try upgrading to what's currently in 2006 Cooker via an urpmi upgrade. Worked very nicely. I followed the procedures in this following thread, especially the posts by arctic, adamw, and ianw1974:

https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?showtopic=25807

This was a fairly standard client machine with KDE, Gnome, and OpenOffice. About 600 packages were updated, not including the kernel upgrade.

This probably wasn't necessary, but the first thing I did was update urpmi itself with: urpmi urpmi

Then I resumed the upgrade with: urpmi --auto-select -v

Only real urpmi problem was a conflict between kdebase-common and kdelibs-common, so that neither package would install. The conflict was due to:

/usr/share/icons/crystalsvg/16x16/devices/nfs_mount.png (also 32x32, 48x48, and 64x64)

To resolve this, I did: urpmi --allow-force kdelibs-common

After the urpmi updates, I did the kernel update to the kernel-2.6.12-12mdk package.

Then I executed the 'updatedb' and 'locate rpmnew' commands and resolved the differences, as described in the above thread. Had about a dozen rpmnew files to reconcile with the original config files; e.g., the shorewall rules, policy, interfaces, and zones files, and various other config files.

Then I fixed up /etc/lilo.conf and executed 'lilo -v' to update the MBR with the new boot loader info. I also removed the old kernel with urpme. This wasn't really necessary but I went ahead and did it anyway since the LE2005 kernel is not supposed to work with a 2006 install.

Periodically during the downloads, urpmi would hang so I just did a Ctrl-C and restarted the 'urpmi --auto-select -v' command and it just picked up from where it left off.

No problems with using my existing /home from LE2005, so my configuration settings transferred with no problems so far.

Caveats: I don't use this machine for audio or cd-writing or printing so that part of the upgrade is untested. All networking functionality works fine, including ssh into and out of the box.

Several weeks ago, I did a new install of 2006 and this upgraded install seems to work as smoothly as the fresh install although it's on a less powerful machine so I can't be quantitative about things like boot-up time.

Edited by jboy

Apparently Cooker is not frozen right now, because an urpmi update I tried today installed some 2006.1 updates. So apparently this supersedes 2006.05.

/etc/release shows: Mandriva Linux release 2006.1 (Cooker) for i586

Does anyone know if these will be part of the official 2006 Release or is this now the start of a new development cycle in Cooker?