Mandriva 2006

Guest aiohe

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I generally do not advise using old sources for updates. Some things, like card games, might be ok. But, use cooker for now. When the official is released, they will post a tree. Use the tree to get the official. Later, they will post the update mirrors. Change again.

Mandriva 2006 is a lot better then my prev 10.1. although just a few glitches about it though. My ipod is not Hot plugable. In order for my Firewire ipod to be reconized I have to install Mandriva with it connected, and then it shows a USB icon in the devices section for my ipod, but then it won't alow me to disconnect it properly, it tells me only root can. I boot into Root and I get the same message, as well I can't delete files out of it unless I go to /mnt/ipod go figure :cheeky:

Also the joystick config util in the System sub-Menu will not load up, it will just show the joystick on the bottom panel like it's trying to load then just disappear.

But other then that it's great.

Or you can download and install the RC2, then set the MAIN source as an UPDATE and update to the official version through urpmi.

You'll have to wait till there is some main mirror available though.

not as simple as that because i dont have a usable internet connection back home (i live in mountainous regions). i give copies of the installations so i really need the image. :)

ciao!

I just installed it after a few tries. It seems it didn't like (in my case) the ftp connection. It stalled when installing firefox, and it looked like it was trying to ftp it from the server (ireland first, france second). Possibly some glitch in cooker. Anyhow, disabling ftp did the trick.

I really like it. Boot time is down, speed is up, everything is detected, looks sweet... I really like this version.

is the release date (20/09/05) for club members though! with a community release some time after....

As far as I know, YES. Dammit there's no gloat smiley here :D

Forget the gloat smiley, turns out, in another twist of events, that club users will have to wait a couple of weeks to get a hold of the iso's. Mandriva does not want them released before the box's are available!

• 2 weeks later...

For cooker, look for a "freeze" date and then a release from being frozen. When cooker is frozen, it is identical to the release. Unfreezing, of course, means that development starts again, and all bets are off!

I'm assuming that Cooker currently is reasonably close to what the upcoming 2006 release will be.  Is this right?

Cooker is currently frozen, the snapshot is (or should I say "should be") exactly what you will get from the free version (i'm running on cooker right now without a hitch, although I haven't tried to update anything since the last freeze), available November-ish. One of the gripes over at the club is that the last time anything commercial was tested was way back at Beta3, none of the commercial packages were tested en mass under either of the RC's. Just need to wait and see!