Mandriva 2006

Guest aiohe

Guest aiohe

Mandriva plans on releasing the community version of 2006 on or about August 15 and Official on September 15.

"I found Mandriva's KDE to be quite stable and fast. I counted 5 seconds from typing 'startx' to seeing the splash screen disappear".

Link: http://www.tuxmachines.org/node/1220

screenshot: http://www.tuxmachines.org/gallery/Cooker2006?page=1

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Adriano

The new theme looks really good to me... And I really dig the improvements they're making. This appears to be a very nice release, if no paperbag bugs appear.

And how will it manage software packages? Will it still be the old urpmi?

Not that I dislike urpmi, I love it, but there were talks of some more advanced package manager.

Edited by solarian

And how will it manage software packages? Will it still be the old urpmi?

Not that I dislike urpmi, I love it, but there were talks of some more advanced package manager.

This is an interesting question. Urpmi was awesome in the beginning, simply because there were no / few other package managers out there. But now it doesn't compare to the likes of Pacman, Apt, Yum and Portage. It's due for an overhaul.

I reckon it'll be something like Apt4rpm... unless they rework urpmi, which would be interesting.

i thought they wil use conectivas smart package manager? at least that is what i read some months ago... :unsure:

arctic,

I'm watching 2006 on a spare partition. I've set it up to update software from a 2006 repository with urpmi, but if I want cooker updates I do the following:

#smart update

#smart upgrade

#smart fix

#shutdown -r now

It seems to work fine, and I've been doing this with cooker for quite awhile.

cheers

I would like to know if Mandriva took out the Graphical Joystick setup program from the KDE Control Centre? Or did they leave it in?

According to KDE's website in the Peripherals section it tells us that you can configure Joystick's ( Like in SUSE, Linspire and many others) but I have yet to see that in Mandrake 10.1 and I don't remember seeing it in the LE2005.

So please tell me that it is included in the 2006?

Thanks

Guest sydhancock
I would like to know if Mandriva took out the Graphical Joystick setup program ...

According to KDE's website in the Peripherals section it tells us that you can configure Joystick's

Can't answer your question directly, other thatn it is unlikely that Mandriva have removed stuff from KDE but which version of KDE did this function appear? That could give a clue to answering your question...

Syd

If you read the Latest LinuxFormat, there is an interview with Mandrake/Mandriva's founder and he states that the Smart (Conectiva) and the Lycoris changes won't be appearing until 2006. Mandriva will also go to 2 month release for club members wanting the latest and greatest, and yearly Enterprise releases for everyone else. Testing wil be the same as what we have today. He also makes an interesting statement potentially laying off some more people. Mandriva has 65 engineers as it stands (30 in South America and 35 in France), that's pretty impresive

SoulSe what makes you think that urpm is behind Pacman, Apt, Yum and Portage. I've used them all and while each have their hangups, I havn't come across anything in urpm that makes me think it's behind those package/source managers. In fact, urpm is more feature complete when used from the command line if you ask me.