startx problem

ERD

Hi all, ibe setup LE2005 on a "server" computer witch runs 24/7 to provide file shares, prinnting, edonkey, etc. and since i dont usually work on this box directly (i use it mostly with VNC and ssh from other boxes), i removed the option to start X automatically (in MCC). and this is the problem:

if i setup mcc to DO start x automatically, everything works fine (as expected), however, if i set it to NOT start x automatically, and i start x manually by means of locally loggin in and typing "startx" at the command line, or remotely via ssh and vnc, then some of my gnome settings are messed up!, the items in my pannels are out of place, net applet doesnt run, session settings dont get saved if i ask to, etc. like i said before, this ONLY happens if i start x manually, if i let mandrake start x automatically then everything works fine.

my guess is that i should start x via a diffrent script (not startx) or that mandrake runs some other script besides startx to start x automatically.

Any idea of what could be wrong?

Thanks!

I am not on a server, but the only change I get is what gdm does, which is a little smoother boot into kde. But all my stuff is the same.

Does your user have admin rights? Could there be a difference in admin screens?

mhh, i havent noticed this before (duh!):

i start x manually via "startx" at the command prompt, and after i end the gnome session and drop back to command line, theres an error message:

(EE)Failed to load module "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libglx.a" (once only module 136033803)

could this be related to the problem?

could someone please explain what this means and an idea of how to fix it? (i really dont like my boxes givvin me ANY kind of errors)

Thanks!

Just taking guess... libglx could be a library providing a glx extension. For instance, I have these lines in XF86Config-4:

# This loads the GLX module
   Load        "glx"   # libglx.a
   Load        "dri"   # libdri.a

The message you're having is unlikely related to init level (init level 5 starts X automatically, init level 3 does not, and you startx manually). More likely, the message appears in both cases, you just did not notice that before. You can check this by booting directly into X, then press ALT+CTRL+F1 to see background messages on console. Return to X by pressing ALT+CTRL+F7. Or, as root, inspect the content of /var/log/messages and /var/log/xorg.log.

As for programs automatically loaded on start-up, on my box running 10.1 and KDE, the icon showing eth0 status and KdiskFree appear in the system tray only if I boot to init 5.

im kinda confused, (im sort of a newby to linux), i understand (i think) that once i arrive at command line (at the login prompt), im at level 3.

but wont running "startx" take me to level 4 and then level 5?

im kinda confused, (im sort of a newby to linux), i understand (i think) that once i arrive at command line (at the login prompt), im at level 3.

but wont running "startx" take me to level 4 and then level 5?

What I mean is that the error most likely occurs even when you boot directly to X. You just can't see it because you don't see the console.

Level 4 is not used. For some reason it is spare. I do not know why. But since it is not used, it cannot be a problem

Startx takes you straight from level 3 to level 5.

Cheers. John