Firefox Plug-ins

lakelover

I've tried to get a pdf program plugged into Firefox without success. I get a message that Adobe download is not available. Anyway, I installed Kpdf. Now, how do I get Firefox to recognize it. The plug-in window in Firefox is empty and I don't see a way to get Kpdf "plugged" into Firefox.

I believe this will work if you're using KDE: Menu icon (lower left corner of Screen) -> System -> Configuration -> KDE -> Components -> File Associations

In the 'Find filename pattern' input box, enter PDF. Then, in the 'Known Types' tree below that you should see only 'applications'. Expand the applications entry and you should see PDF. Click on that, and you will probably see several entries under 'Application Preference Order' (KGhostview, KPDF, etc). Make sure KPDF is the topmost entry, using the Move Up button.

I'm not sure if you have to restart KDE; probably not.

Then when you click on a hyperlink that's a PDF file, it should be downloaded and automatically opened in KPDF.

There may also be ways to have the PDF file opened embedded directly within the Firefox window/tab. For instance, there is a Firefox Extension that "allows you to choose whether you want to view a PDF file inside the browser (as PDF or HTML) or whether you want to download it." You can view the details and download this extension from the Mozilla site at this link. Note: I haven't tried this Extension so I can't comment on how it works. If anyone has tried it or knows of other options, please comment.

Edited by jboy

i dont know if this will help you, but i used to have some trouble with firefox plugins as well, here what i did:

the problems ocurred with the firefox version INCLUDED with mandrake witch btw, is kinda old (1.02 i think), so what i did is,

1.- i went to mcc, uninstalled firefox

2.- downloaded the latest (1.04) version directly from the mozilla site, and installed it "manually". with the provided installer to /usr/local/firefox (as root of course)

3.- installed the plugins i needed directly in firefox->tools->addons (they all installed fine)

now everything is working smoothly :)

hope this helps you

Coincidentally, I did just that: updated Firefox to 1.04, though I didn't delete the old version before updating. I have been able to download a couple of plug-ins including a PDF download file which shows up in the "Extensions" log but I still don't see anything in the /preferences/download/plug-in log, and I am still not able to read a pdf document.. I have both Acrobat Reader and Kpdf installed. I don't see the "addons" function under "Tools" on Firefox, and I've verified that I have version 1.04. I must be overlooking something.