win4lin unable to load because kernel is not supported

Guest CloakedPenguin

Guest CloakedPenguin

Okay so I finally broke down after trying Wine (oh what a pain in the neck that was!) and purchased my very own copy of Win4Lin only to find out that I don't have the right kernel for it to install (FIGURES!) SO! I download the proper kernel that I need and I install it. Well it still doesn't work. I tried to un install the old kernel but it won't let me so now I seem to have two!

MY QUESTIONS ARE:

1. How do I get win4lin 4.0 to work taking and updating my kernel.

2. Why can't I delete my kernel (Linux 2.4.19-13mdk) ?????

I would greatly appreciate any help anyone could give me!!!!! I want to get rid of windows but it's like a bad rash and just won't go away!!!!!!!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHH :twisted:

You shouldn't need to uninstall the kernel, just leave it out of the listing in lilo.conf or Grub1st but make sure it isn't the only one working kernel. Do not remove the non-Fb kernel. List the whichever of the two files your system uses here if you have any doubts at all or you may be looking at a reinstall of a working kernel using a floppy or the Install CD in rescue mode. Is there any way you can find out which kernel is supported by Win4Lin?

Bluebeard.

Guest CloakedPenguin

Well, I found out that Win4Lin supported kernel is installed, but it doesn't work. When every I go through Lilo and have Win4Lin highlighted it goes through some booting then I get an error message about "Init not found"

Guest CloakedPenguin

Okay here is the error that comes up when I try to log into Win4Lin option in Lilo:

ERROR: /bin/insmod exited abnormally

kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k ext3, errno=2

kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k freeext3, errno=2

mount: error 19 mounting ext3 flags Kernel panic: no init found. Try passing init = option to kernel.

Okay what the heck does that mean???? It's all Greek to me