Non-contiguous file system [solved]

Tymestream

I have heard over and over that Linux does not require file system defragmentation - and I understand many reasons why this is so. However, I let a couple of drives file up a little too much and now have a drive that is 24% (or more) non-contigious. Is it my windows mentalitly here or is this not going to have any performance effect? I cannot help but feel that it will effect drive access times.

Worse yet, I backed up the data and reformatted the partition and copied data back and it was still fragmented!? I would have thought that rebuilding the filesystem would have solved this issue. Or perhaps there is a more thorough way?

Any suggestions would be great.

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

Maybe this helps you to understand it better:

http://aplawrence.com/Bofcusm/834.html

It is not so much the fact that Linux filesystems fragment less (even though they try not to....but fragmentation is gonna happen, no matter what, as the disk gets closer to being full), it is the fact that fragmentation on Linux has much less of an impact (read 'virtually none'), because of the multitasking that Linux does. The link explains it better.

Edited by Steve Scrimpshire