DVD Burning & partition sizes [solved]

willisoften

Ok I've just bought a cheap dual layer dvd burner. Lite-on.

Does anyone know under Windows it apparently requires 9GB of free space to create a DVD image file. (only for a full disk I hope!) I do have at least 9GB free in /home.

BUT how does burning work in Linux ( I use Gnome Baker & Nautilus ) previously I've used /tmp - 1.9GB as the temporary directory to burn disks I'm positive were in excess of 2GB.

Does anybody really know how this works. I could set up another partition and call it /burn or something but I don't really want too, it would eat space somewhere else. But if everyone was sure it was the only option..........

Edited by willisoften

I watch movies on the pc and I've ripped a few, to watch on the laptop - no dvd rom at one time.

At the moment I'm talking about burning an 8GB backup.

It was a pretty interesting article anyway. Thanks! Actually I usually just go apt-get install libdvdcss and thats the end of the problem. Any information pertaining to temporary files and DVD burning would be most welcome.

BUT how does burning work in Linux ( I use Gnome Baker & Nautilus ) previously I've used /tmp - 1.9GB as the temporary directory  to burn disks I'm positive were in  excess of 2GB.

does gnome baker have an on-the-fly option? i think that option bypasses the need to create an image before directly writing to the media.

i did the second option. i created a 10GB partition called /storage/forge. dual-layer discs here is basically nonexistent (and those that exists are way to expensive) so i will only burn a single layer of dvd data. the 10GB should be enough and it is not idle since i sort my files there.

ciao!

I did a few experiements last night and it does create a temporary iso ( I set it to use my home). Seems like burning on the fly would usually do ~ but I think I'll have to dig out an old hard drive and set up a temporary partition on that. I'm going to set up a new system soon anyway and I'll be able to be a bit more promiscuous with my hd space.

Thanks ramfree - SOLVED