Upgrade to MDK 9.1!

hugerobot

So if I download the 9.1 distro when it's out of beta, what is the method for installing/upgrading?

Does it have an upgrade process to make going from 9 to 9.1 easy?

And, is it worth it?

Just wondering. I am always interested in the latest/greatest... But I've never upgrade a linux system.

Thanks

What tyme said is the correct way to go. There are two upgrade options: upgrade packages only and upgrade. The first one upgrades packages only while the second one also updates/reconfigures ur system files. But none of these upgrades is a good idea since I have found often that all the packages are not upgraded which leaves u with a mixed up system that has lots of problems.

The best way is to select the install option. During install, just make sure that the user space /home is not formatted. Obviously, u don't need to reformat the system partitions ( / or /usr or /var) either since the installer can and will overwrite the files on them without reformatting. Reformatting is needed only if u want to check the partition for errors or u want a different filesystem on the partition.

Well... when I installed I didn't do the best job of creating partitions... /home is on /...

Any suggestions on how to get /home on its own partition? I expect it involves creating the partition and then mounting it in fstab?

BTW - I have partition magic 8 on my windows partition. I bought it so I could easily partition my drive when I originally installed Linux.

Now that I am more familiar with the need for separate filesystem partitions, I am very interested in this subject. If I am going to make one for /home, I wonder, should I make one for /usr or /opt while I'm at it.

/root /home /usr is a fairly common setup. If you set up a network, you could add /var

My top tip is to add a /boot partition. only needs to be a few mb, and as its seldom written to, less chance of getting screwed up.

hugerobot,

If u want to move ur home dir from / to /home, obviously, u need to:

1. create free space

2. create a partition in the free space

3. then create a suitable linux-based filesystem (ext3, reiserfs) on it.

4. mount this partition as /home

5. Move all files in ur home dir from / to /home

Partition magic will do 1 and 2. U can use the mandrake install cd to do 3.

To make sure that ur home files are not lost, make a backup. To do 4, make suitable changes in fstab. Doing 5 should be simple.

You can do the same in diskdrake as well,...

If you have free space, you can create a new partition and just move the files over. It takes a little work, but it's satisfying to have /home in it's own partition for those rare instances where you want to re-install the OS (like upgrading or switching distros for example).

If you have a space HD lying around, this will probably be the best way. You can mount it as something like /mnt/extra and then just dump your existing /home directory to it.

After you reinstall, you can then dump the contents of /mnt/extra back into the separate /home partition and create the same user names. Once that is done, you can remove the extra HD, and remove the reference to it from the /etc/fstab file. That's probably the easiest way

Having /home in its own partition is also an easier way to have things broken up for back-up purposes.