how to install eDonkey?

crundle

um, this is probably a stupid question, but how do i install edonkey after i have downloaded it? i have got the edonkey linux 1.1 tar.gz. i have tried doing tar -zxvf in the terminal, but what am i meant to do next? have tried googling for this to no effect, it seems that everyone should know what to do!!

any help would be greatly appreciated as always,

crundle

btw, if there is something better out there that uses the edonkey network, dont be afraid to point it out...

https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?showtopic=4486

even tho those instructions are a bit old, now all you have to do is install 2 rpms, one for the core and one for the gui

i did it a few days ago and have been happily downloading non-stop since then :)

and about amule being better, well, i respect scarecrow´s opinion, but IMHO, amule crashes more often than a windows Me box with viruses on it :D

Edited by ERD

thanks for the help everyone, i have tried to get amule running, but it doesnt like the default server list, and when i try to put in any other, it doesnlt like them either, but i will print out the edonkey instructions and give that a try now. just found out about superkaramba and the weather forecast, love having that on the desktop!

linux rocks, no doubt about it, I'm just slow to adapt from thinking in windows mode...

the community atmosphere here is awesome, you people are a great credit to new linux users like myself

crundle

:)

and about amule being better, well,  i respect scarecrow´s opinion, but IMHO, amule crashes more often than a windows Me box with viruses on it  :D

I absolutely agree, amule used to be the segfault king of my box... but this is strictly an wxgtk 2.4.X- 2.5.X issue.

Have you tried running it with wxgtk 2.6? Believe it or not, it is VERY stable.

Now, does anyone know a QT-based emule client? Please? :cheesy:

Edited by scarecrow