UDF packet-writing [abandoned]

Havin_it

'ning,

When I got my first CD burner it came with Nero (natch) and included with this was InCD, the UDF software. The idea of CD-as-floppy seemed ideal and I had a crack at formatting a disc. 3 hours and a nearly melted burner and disc later, I said 'never again'. But hostility dulls with time, and I thought I'd give it another look.

I found one thread on the board (from 2003) in which UDF was all-but written off, though it was mentioned that it would have support in the 2.6 kernel. I guess they said that about many things though...

So I'm just wondering whether this did happen, or whether it's been successfully implemented elsewhere in software. I did notice that mkisofs has a UDF switch, but does this mean it can add all the structure necessary for packet-writing when it creates an ISO? If true, this'd be incredible - bypassing that god-awful lengthy formatting process.

Edited by Havin_it

It's here. It's enabled in the default 2.6 kernel that ships with 10.1:

CONFIG_CDROM_PKTCDVD=y

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/view/...a/udftools.html

I've done it as an experiment and it worked fine. Ignore the part about patching the kernel. Install udftools with urpmi if you have a contrib source set up and follow those instructions.

Well, I mucked around with UDF for about 3 days solid, and had absolutely no joy from it. I think you guys are right, it's just not a viable way of using a CDRW at the moment, if ever.

I might try it again if I ever have cause to buy Nero (and since I have K3B that's quite unlikely!) and try out InCD again. But the memories may keep me away... /shudder